Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Another Suction Entrapment Fatality
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 18-10-07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Another Suction Entrapment Fatality

Another child has lost his life in a suction entrapment accident
in Greenwich CT. We the underwater pool repair divers are in a unique position (seeing more pools / year than anyone else) to hopefully prevent another accident. Please if you don't already, include in every pool inspection a check for suction hazards, make sure every main has an anti-vortex safety cover and that every cover and grate is securely attached with stainless screws, A small investment in spare covers and ss screws can be profitable and a lifesaver.
Thank you
Bruce - Underwater Pool Repair
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trackerm

[*] posted on 13-3-09 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote

With the Virginia Grahaem Baker law taking effect this past december. I have found that despite its mandate, pools are sluggish and dragging their feet in compliance, at least in new york state where inspectors ARE NOT enforcing the VGB. Unlike Conneticuit, who's inspectors are enforcing the VGB, many states DOH have chose not to due to lack of funding and/or lack of state wanting to become involved in enforcing a federal law mandated by the Congress. Despite my being in the northeast and pools during the winter being closed, most indoor pool facilities are either un educated, unwilling, reluctant, or uncooperative when it comes to the VGB and installing drain covers. Despite the law mandating only public pools and spas, i think its a good idea when out in the field for all of us to educate the pool owner in installed an anti entrapment cover that is VGB compliant. Make sure you have a cover that is rated for their maximum pump flow rate before installing.

Mood: spring smellin''

[*] posted on 14-3-09 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote

i too have been experiencing contradicting feedback on complience vs. enforcement. i am waiting for the dust to settle and a complience statement from local health authorities. i recently was introduced to a web site that is promoting the pool industry. it has some heavy hitters as members and a bunch of not so heavy regulars like me. check it out! www.poolgeniusnetwork.com thanks for the input, bruce.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member 1215's Yahoo
trackerm

[*] posted on 15-3-09 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote

What state do you live in?
DBServices

[*] posted on 16-3-09 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote

It was slow to start in GA. but now I'm inspecting sumps and replacing covers as fast as I can. I have 2 other divers and still can't keep up. Just when things started slowing down. The feds come in with the VGB act and the work load is back! :)

Dave
DB Services
Commercial Pool Services
Pump Room Services
Atlanta GA
db.poolservice@yahoo.com

[*] posted on 16-3-09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
answer to trackerm

tennessee. complience check list was"tweaked" at last minute. we have state health seminar april 2. I have done alot of local promo one on one about VGB and have calls for bids. just don't have criteria yet. (getting not funny).
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member 1215's Yahoo
trackerm

[*] posted on 16-3-09 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote

Here is new york, most pool owners are not aware, or if they are, are waiting for the health department to tell them they have to upgrade. I was speaking mr kern from safekids. The CPSC received seven million dollars last week for funding to "re educate" the public pool owners that the VGB is serious. I have heard many other pool professionals tell me horror stories of pools in New York blatent disregard for the VGB. Some pool owners want to upgrade one drain, others are hiring plumbers to do the job, some pool operators have said they wont. I spoke to a day camp operator myself and they stated they are exempt. We need leadership in this. The only way each pool will be mandated to install the covers is to have each local authority police and enforce it.

[*] posted on 17-3-09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote

i'm ther with you trckerm. imagine if this boils down to insurance companies enforcing fed.law. (can you say BAIL OUT?)
trackerm

[*] posted on 18-3-09 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote

Yet to be seen. And if that is factual, and if everyone needs a competent diver in the pool industry, try and get someone at the last minute when your pool is closed. By the way, stainless steel delivery of drain covers cost up to 400 dollars per cover EXTRA if overnighted. you would think people would want to get ahead of the curve, at any rate, plenty of pools out there whatever happens doh or insurance company.
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 29-3-09 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote

Rob @reedpool: does Canada have a similiar vgb drain cover law? Incredible surge in business here for underwater installation of the new anti-entrapment covers.

Bruce
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
reedpool

[*] posted on 30-3-09 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote

Canada has similar laws governing commercial spas. The government is closely monitoring the VGB act and will probably legislate in the future. Some distributors here are pushing for dual main drains but it is not having a big impact. Canada has a large percentage of vinyl pools with either the main drain attached to the skimmer or no main drain at all, so drain cover changes won't have the impact you are experiencing.
trackerm

[*] posted on 9-4-09 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote

Had a guy who cleans hulls out in california call me today. Said he was contacted by a guy who owns 30 apartment complexs and needed a diver to install anti entrapment covers. He installed one, then was asked by some official ask him for sumps measurements. He didnt know what a sump was. Descent fellow, just unknowledgeable about the law, what it entails, what measurements were needed and how to go about it in the correct manner. Shame, pool owners looking for the cheapest way out, hiring someone who really shouldnt be taking on this work and when there is an entrapment injury, or the department of health wants to know who changed the pool configuration without approval, the diver, who is just looking to make a few extra bucks because they figure whats the big deal, gets hung. IE pool in connecticuit.

nuff said.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top