Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: built-in steps leak
walgreens1

sad.gif posted on 20-8-07 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
built-in steps leak

Does anybody had problem identifying leak around built-in steps? Could you please share your knowledge?
LeakTrack 2200 indicates leak around the edge molding of built-in steps. I pulled out the strip that covers screws and tried to tighten them, but none of them were loose and I could not even move any single one, I guess screws are ok. I also inspected liner around the edge molding and everywhere around I could see the short strip of liner above the molding that tells me that liner is in place and should not have any loose areas that could leak. Liner itself looks good around the steps too. Could it be that LeakTrack gives false signal and I need to look for a leak somewhere else? Or there is something else that could cause a leak in steps area?
Thanks for any suggestions or information.
trackerm

[*] posted on 20-8-07 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote

its probably going to need an underwater inspection with dye. a lot of guys bad mouth guys doing underwater scuba work saying we are expensive for what we do. the leak trac doesnt isolate leaks the way a diver would . a lot of people who bought a leak trac figured they would eliminate underwater scuba work with an electronic device and charge the same amount. look in the corners of the stairs. i bet the leak is t here.
thepoolsitter

[*] posted on 20-8-07 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote

I too have had the same problem. It is very frustrating. I found that a leak elsewhere will cause the liner to float. When the liner floats this may cause a tear in the liner at the corner of the stairs. Check this area carefully. I have never found that the screws were the problem although I hoped it would be. Check to see if they allow their dogs in the pool as well. This can create holes near the bottom of the steps.
Lance
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 21-8-07 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote

The LeakTrac often gives readings at the bottom corners of the steps because the screws that go through the face plate will contact the ground here. Screws along the length of the strip are more protected from the ground by the strip on the backside of the liner and unless they are leaking don't usually give a reading. As has been suggested, a dye test of can usually confirm if there is or isn't a problem before taking face plates off etc.

By finding these screws, the LeakTrac is doing what its supposed to do . . . It’s identifying connections to ground . . . the operators job is to determine if the ground connection is a leak or can be explained in some other way. A little “time behind the wheel” will help you be more confident with what to get concerned about and what to disregard as low probability problems. I usually don’t get in the water to test stair gaskets until I have thoroughly surveyed the whole liner. Most readings in the middle of the liner someplace can’t be explained as anything else but a leak . . .if I’m going in the water to fix or test one of these, I’ll quickly check the stair corners also.

While the device may not completely eliminate the need for diving and dye testing, most divers I’ve talked to find that it makes their job much easier by quickly eliminating large areas of the pool that don’t need to be visually inspected.
reedpool

[*] posted on 21-8-07 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote

If the liner was recently installed, the steps may not be cut correctly. Loosen but do not remove the step screws on the bottom, you will probably find that the liner has ripped around the screw. Dye testing is an invaluable tool to back up leaktrac findings. For all you divers out there dont worry about about being replaced by a leaktrac but is a great tool for a diver to locate leaks especially in liner pools with fancy patterns.

rob
walgreens1

[*] posted on 21-8-07 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote

Thanks for all your assistance, guys! I really really appreciate it.

Reedpool, do you think it is safe enough to loose (but not remove) the step screws on the bottom edge molding to see if liner has ripped around the screw? I think it will give me 100% answer to this problem.
reedpool

[*] posted on 22-8-07 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote

yes it is safe. A dye test may also confirm leak without losening screws but we usually losen the screws so we can see the tear.

Rob
thepoolsitter

mad.gif posted on 22-8-07 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
today's findings.....

Here is what I reported to a customer today. I am still not 100% that I am correct in my assessment. I have not dived as of yet.

Two electronic scans of the pool indicated that there is a leak at
the bottom of the stairs on the right where the liner and the stair
trim meets. There is another small leak along the bottom trim
(possibly a loose screw) about six inches from that corner. We
were also getting a strong signal that there is a leak on the other corner
at the left of the stairs. Dye tests could not confirm this however.
All vacuum lines, feed lines and return lines were pressure tested
at 19 psi and held that pressure for 25 minutes. There are no leaks
in the plumbing. Dye tests of the light niches indicate that there
are no leaks in either niche. We were unable to remove the cover
plate around the skimmer but the dye test indicated that there is
no leak there although the electronic test signaled a possible leak.
Such contradictions are not unusual because of the high
sensitivity of the scanner.
4Leakman

[*] posted on 26-8-07 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
settings???

What setting are you using on your leaktracker? I find that scanning the pool on medium, or high if the pool has enough water, will give me some "leak" indications that after switching the power to low tells me that there is not a leak. I have had a leaktracker for over ten years and have found that the device will actually detect variations in liner thickness (especially at welded seams) that will disappear at the low setting. It took me a while to figure this out but as Lance says, you need to spend a bit of time "behind the wheel" to get to know this device.

Most fiberglass step corners do give me a leak reading but I have never fond one leaking. (Your results may vary)

Earlier this season I went to a pool that had been checked by two divers with a total dive time of seven hours in the pool (according to the owner). The leaktrack came up with six openings within a few minutes that were quickly sealed.

I asked the owner if the divers that came to his pool had dogs and white canes!!! :P (sarcasm)
4Leakman

[*] posted on 27-8-07 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
A change in my story

After just saying how I have yet to find a leak around the sealing edge of fiberglass steps (see post above) I had one today that had a poorly installed seal and was leaking. It was in a brand new pool. Sooo never say never. There CAN be leaks around the stairs!!!
aquapride

[*] posted on 13-9-07 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote

i find tracking around most faceplate. this must be checked with dye, if in doubt, seal it. i wouldn't loosen any screws as the liner may shift which will be obvious due to chlorinizaton diffentences in the liner or worse u may crack the faceplate prying it back to take a look requiring complete removal and replacement and than i would almost guarantee the liner will shift. just seal it and keep looking
reedpool

[*] posted on 15-9-07 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote

Once the leak tracking is done it is helpful to get in the pool to dye test the bottom of the built in steps and the light. Many light leaks seem to be from improperly installed conduit and that is hard to see from the deck. Re losening face plates, I have no problem with the liner slipping if the screws are not removed. If you wish to remove a faceplate or change a cracked one i:e skimmer or return plates, the following technique works; Remove the heads from similar screw, substitute the headless screw for the face plate screws one at a time. Once this is done the face plate can be slid off while the screws hold the liner in place, slide the new face plate or old back over headless screws and switch screws.
Rob
Poolman

[*] posted on 24-2-08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote

Built in steps can be a real pain, especially when the company that replaced the liner didn't align the clamp plate with the existing line of holes or gaskets! Have done a repair where we had to lower the water and remove the clamp, bond liner material to the back of the existing and re gasket and clamp up the liner.
It worked but if you are tempted to do it warn the client that it may not be a permanent fix.
I tend to always suspect screws and clamp plates on replaced liners as many don't replace the gaskets and plates with new. A great product for around a liner clamp to steps is the flexible sealant, have cured a few leaks with that to date and its not come off like rotobond does!
leekmaster

[*] posted on 12-4-08 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote

Leaktrac is wonderful but as Lance mentioned will sound at steps especially at corners.Turn power to medium and lower sensitivity or turn power to low.
Have never found seal leaking but have found liner torn away at screws especially if liner has floated. Have also found liner tear below steps .
Have had excellent success with Flexible Sealer.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top