Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Getting started
thepoolsitter

[*] posted on 16-2-06 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Getting started

I am new in the business of leak detection and live in Ontario about 1 hour from Toronto. How do I determine what is a fair rate to charge my customers? Other service companies I have researched seem to be all over the board when it comes to pricing. I suspect not all companies in my area are using the Anderson method or prodcts.

Also, how do ensure that you will be paid once the leak has been identified?
LeakControl

[*] posted on 17-3-06 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote

Since you are new, you want to build customer base. So you want to price yourself appropriately for your experience. The better you get and the more efficient, you can increase your prices. Don't price yourself too low though. Money needs to be part of the motivating factor for you. If you don't make enough, you will lose interest easily and with that, your customer. Also, I would recommend that you "partner" with someone who already does this. Find someone who will "subcontract" and help you "when you're backed up". If they are honest and monetarily motivated (tough combination to find, but it does exist), you can use them when you are "stumped" rather than just walking away and losing a customer (and his referrals). Be sure to stress to your "partner" that it is YOUR customer and he is helping you out. If the customer has questions, they deal with you. Hope this helps you as you go through "growing pains" of the learning process. Also, you may want to "connect" with those "leak detectors" in your area who DON'T have Anderson equipment. Sooner or later they will have a subterranean leak that will require electronics so why not use you? ;) Especially service guys who "do their own leaks". I started doing this and now they recommend ME to other pool guys who need the electronic detection. It's one thing to own the equipment, quite another to know how to use it effectively ;)
There is no absolute to ENSURE payment. Be CLEAR, upfront, and honest about what you will do to FIND the leak and what your fee is. Be sure to stress that this is to DETECT the leak. After the detection (many of which you can SHOW the customer), ask for your fee and tell them how much to FIX the leak. I usually charge nominally for easy fix (epoxying skimmer throat, etc) By fixing the leak right then, I better guarantee collection. If it is subterranean, they will have no choice but to pay in order for it to be excavated at the correct spot ;) Beware engineers and doctors. Many (not all, but many) are intelligent and CHEAP (VERY bad combination). They justify why it is okay to cheat you. If they feel the need to TELL you that they are an engineer, doctor, or lawyer, BEWARE. That is their warning! They feel that they are above you and therefore it is okay to cheat you. Had an engineer who called ME to find his leak. After I pinpointed it and told him where to dig, he refused to pay saying that HE found the leak (after I told him where to dig and how to repair it). NEVER be nice to an arrogant engineer! (or doctor or lawyer). I feel better now lol Happy Detecting :)
thepoolsitter

wink.gif posted on 28-2-08 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote

Thank you Leak Control for your very useful information. I'll remember what you said re. engineers and their ilk.
reedpool

[*] posted on 2-3-08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote

We are located near you. We charge a minimum of $350.00 to find a leak. If the customer is not going to be home when we do the leak location we require credit card payment in advance. The worst payers in our book are small service companies who are hard to find once their problem has been solved. We now insist on advance payment until we get to know them.
There is a strong demand for reliable leak detection, no need to discount your work.

Rob
ALD

[*] posted on 2-3-08 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote

I'd also like to say a very loud, "AMEN!" to LeakControl's engineer advice.

I once had a customer who was an engineer call us 45 days after we were out there and did repairs b/c his pool had dropped 1/16" of an inch different from the bucket... over 2 weeks! I couldn't believe it, but b/c a courtesy trip out there often settles anxious minds, I returned. When I did, he had made a graph in Excel from raw data he collected w/ measurements he made w/ calipers over the 2 weeks. Unbelievable. Checked it all again - obviously no leaks. I had him do the bucket test again filling his bucket up completely to the top as to increase the bucket's evaporation by just a hair. It was enough to settle him and let go of his "engineer death grip".

Watch out.

Also, in my experience doctors, lawyers, and commercial real estate developers will pay you last.
Sdewolfe

biggrin.gif posted on 3-3-08 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote

If you look at their garden hose and it has a quick disconnect on it chances are very good you're dealing with an engineer...
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 4-3-08 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote

In addition to doctors, lawyers and engineers I also include airline pilots
Bruce
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Poolman

[*] posted on 6-3-08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote

and dentists, gave them a 14 days to pay before appointing a debt collector letter worked a treat, that was after reminders etc.:)
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top