Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Light Repairs
snak23

[*] posted on 30-7-07 at 10:42 AM
Light Repairs

I have epoxied a bunch of lights this year using Pool Putty 2 part epoxy. (white & blue) For the most part it works great. But I have had a couple that I have had to go back because the light was still leaking. I try to be careful but the cord gets pulled to the side when I put the light back in and leaves a small crack in the epoxy. I have left the lights out and let the epoxy set when I have a problem but this is time consuming for jobs that are far away. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks,
Mike
trackerm

[*] posted on 31-7-07 at 06:34 AM

call me at 845 926 2929
reedpool

[*] posted on 31-7-07 at 01:26 PM

try butyl rubber as supplied by Anderson for leak repairs of light conduit.
Rob
snak23

[*] posted on 1-8-07 at 01:48 PM

Thanks for your help guys! I appreciate it.

-Mike
4Leakman

[*] posted on 3-8-07 at 08:48 PM
Light leak

I used to use two part epoxy also but have since found the the butyl rubber is the best. I know of guys using hi expansion insulation foam and it works but good luck getting the light out to change the liner or for other repairs!!;)
trackerm

[*] posted on 7-8-07 at 08:45 AM

how did you make out with that?
h2info

[*] posted on 18-8-07 at 04:16 PM

I use Aquabond underwater epoxy to repair the lights. I have the customer reinstall the light due to cure time. If they dont know how, I show them before the repairs are made so the cord is not disturbed. I have never had a recall because the repair failed.
reedpool

[*] posted on 21-8-07 at 01:15 PM

While epoxy repairs work fine on light conduit leaks, they may present a problem later if the light has to be removed and/or replaced.

Rob
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 23-8-07 at 07:36 PM

Light conduit leaks-
90% of the time I seal them with the butyl rubber sealant from Anderson, works at all temperatures, is removable at liner change time or to install a new light, and you can immediately put the light back in, 10% of the time I use epoxy, if the conduit has sheared off at the back of the niche for example, if i use epoxy I always use Anderson's Fast Set epoxy ( in the red package) sets fully in 5 minutes and allows you to reset the light in the niche
Bruce - Underwater Pool Repair
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hap

[*] posted on 6-9-07 at 11:48 PM

Every time and I do mean every time I've used butyl tape on a leaky light conduit it falls off. I must be doing it wrong. I've used blobs about the size of a marble to a golf ball and nothing seems to stick except A&B epoxy. Can anybody help me with a good technique?
hap
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 9-9-07 at 06:13 PM

Hap
It is how you pack it into the conduit.
1 clean the first 2 inches into the conduit with a toothbrush
2 feed in the butyl rubber going around the cord and usually the ground wire and pack it into the conduit, forcing it in with the blade of a screwdriver. when you are done it should be at least one solid inch packed into the conduit. It is flush with the niche when finished.
Bruce - Underwater Pool Repair
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hap

[*] posted on 14-9-07 at 12:34 AM

Thanks Bruce,
That's great advice. I doubt a toothbrush will fit in the 1/2" brass conduit we use in AZ. But I will find a proper tool that will fit for cleaning the space between. I've never seen a ground or bond wire in a light nitch on the water side of the nitch. All nitches around here have a bonding lug on the outside. Now that I understand what I need to do to get things sealed I will find or make tools for the task. Thanks again.
hap
Renupools

[*] posted on 25-9-07 at 05:19 AM

I use a cord stopper in the conduit & a little bit of pool putty around the braised fitting to ensure the leak is sealed. Most of my leaks come around the male adapter where the female threaded fitting is loose from bad chemical management.
allaroundleaks

[*] posted on 12-10-08 at 07:28 PM

Do no use butyl it does not adhear/stick to the housing very well use andersons 5min quik set underwater epoxy $65.00 per case 2parts in one stick works great saves time and $$$$
1387hotwater

[*] posted on 2-4-09 at 02:40 PM

have heard of pumping silicone into conduit...works but makes it hard to replace light
reedpool

[*] posted on 3-4-09 at 07:52 AM

The butyl works very well inside the conduit. Epoxy is the way to go if strong adhesion is required.
4Leakman

[*] posted on 7-4-09 at 06:21 AM
Another (bad) idea

I had one repair service tell me that they use a can of high expansion insulation foam. They blow that into the conduit and voila, no more leak. :o But when I asked about light or liner replacement the reply was that they were there to repair the leak and were not concerned about what the future may bring. Nice guys!!! :cool:
pooltech1

[*] posted on 30-4-09 at 11:21 PM
light conduit leaks

I have always used Epoxy Bond two part epoxy to seal leaking conduits and have had fantastic results. I have seen the rubber "stoppers" that have cuts in them to allow for the cord and ground to go through and plug the conduit, but still opt for epoxy. Silicone should never be used for any underwater repairs as it deteriorates over time and makes an epoxy repair more difficult to bond to the material being sealed.
buwpools

[*] posted on 29-7-09 at 10:51 PM
Light Repairs

Snak23 & hap:
I use a combination, both are from Anderson's. Start with a 4 " strip of butyl tape. Wrap it around the rubber cord in the back of the light niche. Work the tape tight & force it up the conduit still wrapped around the cord. Then cover the opening with the epoxy putty(5 min quik set)& rerally work it in tight as well. Give it at least 10 minutes to set before attempting to coil cord back in the niche. If I can I will even leave it longer to set.
Tom
poolguy77

[*] posted on 17-1-10 at 01:11 PM
Light or leak repair

You can use a product called ArmorGuard underwater leak repair kit. its a 2 part epoxy, odorless and non toxic, I have used it on many pools and never had to go back once. www.ecosmartepoxysystems.com for more info on it.
brehmcon

[*] posted on 24-1-10 at 06:48 PM

This maybe old news to some but I've had Stainless Hayward light niches leak through the bonding lug connector.

Mood: spring smellin''

[*] posted on 30-1-10 at 10:25 AM

I HEAR WAT U SAY BREHMCOM.HAVE EXPERIENCED SAME THING ON METAL NICHES. A COUPLE OF TIMES I FOUND THE COROSION HAD DISSOLVED THE NICHE SO BADLY THAT I SEALED THE ENTIRE NICHE WITH A LEXAN PLATE(VINYL)
ALLEN,JONAHUNDERWATER
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member 1215's Yahoo
robassetto

[*] posted on 5-3-10 at 07:37 PM

Toilet bowl wax. the 2 part putty is the best. but toilet bowl wax is great for the fact that if you go to replace a light or a liner down the rode you don't have to worry about the removal. it's such a simple thing but effective. it is better to remove the wax from the ring and put it into a contain before you go to a customers pool though. looks more professional if you ask me
remedy1

[*] posted on 6-3-10 at 03:46 AM

2pk epoxy offers at the most a very rigid non flexible seal, if packing it around a cable, the cable needs to sit stationary for at least 24 hrs before the light is fully reinstalled,...

Here in australia, i use a marine grade sikaflex that can be applied and squeezed into conduit and around the cable at the wall. This offers a highly durable and flexible seal. I also use a product called Emmerkit 2pk epoxy, but i either return to the property at an extra cost or instruct the pool owner to re-install the light once it has cured.

Jeff

[*] posted on 25-3-10 at 07:20 AM

Cord stoppers cost about $3.50 use on every new light installation. Great insurance at a cheap price.
 Pages:  1  2
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top