Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: How many of you use helium detectors and pipe cameras?
Semi_Retired

[*] posted on 26-7-12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
How many of you use helium detectors and pipe cameras?

After pressure testing and hearing leaks with the electronic geophones, I would like to verify results visually with a camera or by use of a helium sniffer. Anyone doing this?
Brian
QuickLeakCheck.com
PoolRepairsOnly.org
Semi_Retired

[*] posted on 28-7-12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote

I'm having a demo of a Ridgid Nano drain camera with sonde at client's pool at 8 am on Monday. Spa jet pump suction line won't hold pressure. The path of the pipes appears to go under two massive palm trees. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Brian
QuickLeakCheck.com
PoolRepairsOnly.org
Semi_Retired

[*] posted on 30-7-12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ridgid demo results:

Demonstration of Ridgid products went well. Nano and microdrain cameras were used. DVD monitor as well. I think the microdrain with its larger push rod will work better for me. Nano only could be pushed out 30' in a 2" line before it stopped being able to be pushed. Microdrain went out 40' easily. Both went past 4 90's and 1 45.
I'm sure with practice and some lube I could have gone further. Also, the rep didn't have the guide balls. No fishing line to pull around corners and tees.
Sonde location worked great. One leak in soil between the palms and one leak under deck were easily located. You could see plastic hanging down from inside the pipe. Other leak was an easily visible cracked fitting .Very poor plumbing combined with unfortunate placement of palm trees to blame.
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 31-7-12 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote

Did you get to try them in any 1 1/2" pipe?
The majority of pools here in NE are 1 1/2", and almost all the older ones are.

Bruce
PoolRepairDiver.com
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Semi_Retired

[*] posted on 31-7-12 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Just 2"

Hi, Bruce

Everything at this pool spa combo was 2". Here in Carlsbad, California I see lots of 2" and 2 1/2". Even 3" on the swim jet job. Most homes are newer "big house, small lot" developments. Pool builders try to sell all the options they can fit into a little pool. They can't really sell on square footage of pool. So, they sell solar heating, dedicated cleaner lines, attached spas, sheer descents, PebbleTec exposed aggregate plaster, stone coping and deck, outdoor kitchen and BBQ.

Just like in the days when Detroit sold cars as a base vehicle and advertised that price. Then you paid extra for a/c, automatic transmission, radio, etc.

I could definitely see the Nano being a better choice in some instances. It all depends on what is out there in your particular neck of the woods.
skispain

[*] posted on 6-8-12 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote

Yes, I've been using the seesnake for about 2 years. It's not something I use often, but when I do, it is great. First time I used it, it wasn't for a leak. I had a jet airline that wasn't pulling any air. Ran the see snake down the 2" line through 2 90's about 40'. The line was full of rocks. Used the locator, it is accurate, I mean incredibly accurate. Got over the location, said it was 17" down. Dug a one foot by one foot hole, hit the pipe at 15". The pipe was broken from a pick ax. Repaired pipe, jets work great. It is harder to run down 1 1/2" pipe w. fittings, can get past one 1 1/2" 90. On a leak in a vertical pipe, such as an in floor cleaning line, or a maindrain line. you can plug the drain in the floor, watch the water drop in the line. Slowly follow it with your camera until it stops dropping. Than you know how far down the leak is. The Seesnake has always been accurate. One of my favorite tools, I love using it when a job calls for it. Hope this helps.
Semi_Retired

[*] posted on 6-8-12 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote

Thanks, skispain
4Leakman

[*] posted on 12-8-12 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Micro Drain

I have the Ridgid Micro Drain and we used it on a job a few weeks back. The pool is piped with 1 1/2" black poly so we were able to use it from the equipment pad towards the pool up until we got to elbows. Can't make those corners with that unit.

We were having issues zeroing in on the leak locations ( 5 breaks in 3 pipes) because the concrete deck was so well sealed. I was not confident about what i was hearing so I purchased the Ridgid Scout and found that my original "guesstimates" were way off. The Scout put us right on track and depth. Poly pipe is not easy to see any pipe breaks in. Even when we knew where they were we could not distinguish the broken part from the good part. Anyone know a way to apply pressure to the pipe while the camera is in it? :D
Semi_Retired

[*] posted on 12-8-12 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by skispain
Yes, I've been using the seesnake for about 2 years. It's not something I use often, but when I do, it is great. First time I used it, it wasn't for a leak. I had a jet airline that wasn't pulling any air. Ran the see snake down the 2" line through 2 90's about 40'. The line was full of rocks. Used the locator, it is accurate, I mean incredibly accurate. Got over the location, said it was 17" down. Dug a one foot by one foot hole, hit the pipe at 15". The pipe was broken from a pick ax. Repaired pipe, jets work great. It is harder to run down 1 1/2" pipe w. fittings, can get past one 1 1/2" 90. On a leak in a vertical pipe, such as an in floor cleaning line, or a maindrain line. you can plug the drain in the floor, watch the water drop in the line. Slowly follow it with your camera until it stops dropping. Than you know how far down the leak is. The Seesnake has always been accurate. One of my favorite tools, I love using it when a job calls for it. Hope this helps.

Which seesnake model were you using?
Semi_Retired

[*] posted on 12-8-12 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by 4Leakman
I have the Ridgid Micro Drain and we used it on a job a few weeks back. The pool is piped with 1 1/2" black poly so we were able to use it from the equipment pad towards the pool up until we got to elbows. Can't make those corners with that unit.

We were having issues zeroing in on the leak locations ( 5 breaks in 3 pipes) because the concrete deck was so well sealed. I was not confident about what i was hearing so I purchased the Ridgid Scout and found that my original "guesstimates" were way off. The Scout put us right on track and depth. Poly pipe is not easy to see any pipe breaks in. Even when we knew where they were we could not distinguish the broken part from the good part. Anyone know a way to apply pressure to the pipe while the camera is in it? :D

It only went past one 90?
The rep told me it works better in black pipe since the camera was designed for sewers *shrugs shoulders*
I was thinking the same thing about pressurizing lines and using the camera at the same time. ;)
ald101

[*] posted on 13-8-12 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote

Regarding helium sniffers, they work great when pipe is under soil. I use a probe to poke holes along the suspected route of the pipe, mark the holes with flags then induce helium. I sniff the holes to find the highest readings. The issue we are having in Ca. is a helium shortage and it has become expensive and hard to find. The cameras are always nice to have because even though you may not be able to see the leak, you can accureately locate the run of the pipe which is always nice.
Semi_Retired

[*] posted on 16-8-12 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Helium shortage

Just got off the phone with the local Airgas distributor. They have NO helium and haven't had ANY since the end of February. Apparently there is a worldwide shortage. They said to call back at the end of September to see if it has come in. Guess I won't be buying the helium detector setup.

Brian
Semi_Retired

[*] posted on 16-8-12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by 4Leakman
I have the Ridgid Micro Drain ... we could not distinguish the broken part from the good part. Anyone know a way to apply pressure to the pipe while the camera is in it? :D

Jon, I know you were kidding, but if it's a skimmer line you can use the camera with the pump on and feed it through the plumbing looking for bubbles at the leaks. YouTube has a video of the D65S traveling through a skimmer line. I realize you probably have already seen it, but I'm posting this in case others are interested.
Brian
QuickLeakCheck.com
PoolRepairsOnly.org
cgg90210

[*] posted on 11-9-12 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote

We have used Praxair for 20 yrs and had to fight tooth and nail to get a helium allowance at a very expensive rate. We mostly use Helium fo large property irrigation leaks, but is was always nice to verify pool leaks. Hopefully we are all skilled enough to where we can use nitrogen or other gasses to find our leaks. That being said, I made a two valve system that hooks into our tanks where I can "feather" in just enough helium to be detected w/o burning a lot. Actually works well
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top