Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Nitrogen
PoolBuoy

[*] posted on 24-2-12 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Nitrogen

Hey guys,

Quick question...has anyone had success with nitrogen for listening to underground plumbing? I'm considering on trying it because I'm looking for another technique because the regular air compressor can cause some interference when listening to the ground. I've tried Helium leak detection but I find the helium spreads everywhere and then I'm not able to pinpoint.

Do you guys typically use 2 guys when looking for underground leaks? What techniques do you use?

Thanks,

Larry
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 24-2-12 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote

I have always used compressed air from a scuba tank, no compressor noise issue, yes you can rent nitrogen tanks and do the pressure test with them. There is no sound difference, just the fact you eliminated the compressor noise, (BTW air is already 80% nitrogen), also the newer snorkel/compressor unit from Anderson has a 2 gallon tank so the compressor will not run all the time allowing quiet listening
To answer your second question: I work alone, extra people watching, walking around and talking (making noise) are asked politely to leave
Bruce
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PoolBuoy

[*] posted on 24-2-12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote

Thanks Bruce!

Do you use the XLT 17 or the 30? Any other techniques for detecting leaks by yourself? I usually let the compressor run after I purge the water out of the line and try to listen that way...it doesn't always work. Do you do anything else?

Thanks,
Larry
ald101

[*] posted on 13-8-12 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote

I use nitrogen 90% of the time because it's cheap. I I have a small leak I will use helium because it escapes the pipe easier (second smallest molecule next to hydrogen, but who wants to blow up anything?). Plus you can detect helium with a molecular analyzer.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top