Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Pressure Testing
pguthrie

[*] posted on 26-12-11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Pressure Testing

Hey everybody! I just started leak detection myself, and I'm having a slight issue. My company wants me to have somebody else with me while I pressure test to sonar, but rarely do I have an extra body available. I've tried to set the pressure tank regulator to about 10psi and sonar it myself, but have not been able to find a leak.

This is a commercial property in Sw Florida. I know it's someplace in the vacuum lines, but also know it's a large leak someplace due to the fact that the line will hold no pressure at all.

Other then having a second body to regulate the pressure higher while I listen, are there any other tips I could try?

Secondly, what about finding pipes under concrete? Is there a quick way or do you need to listen to the whole deck?

Thank you.
trackerm

[*] posted on 27-12-11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote

as lance will tell you sonic detection is only successfull if the leak under pressure will generate noise. good pipe locating is essential in finding the leak you may be in the wrong area. it would be beneficial, however, some leaks do not hold pressure at all or lose pressure so insignificantly that you wont be able to locate them easily.

so, pipe locating is essential and the basic. pressure test and follow the pipe. i work alone so i understand sometimes locating the leak is a little more challenging, especially in pipes that have a big leak that holds no pressure or those leaks that lose small amounts a pound a minute that are hard to find. good luck
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 27-12-11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Pressure testing

In cases where you are unable to buildup pressure you may need to introduce both water and air simultaneously. Add water from the lowest point and air from the highest, this should allow you to buildup pressure and create a more identifiable sound. Lance sells a garden hose adaptor that attaches to an open stem plug for the water induction or a second PT unit could be use.

Other equipment intensive methods could also be used;
Helium induction and detection.
A pipe inspection camera should be able to see a leak this large.
Sonde pipe location can be used to id the location the camera is viewing and if the camera cannot see the leak at least you can map the pipe route with the sonde and know exactly where to listen.

Good leak detectors are always learning. Hope these ideas help. Please report back on how you made out.

Bruce
poolrepairdiver.com
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pguthrie

[*] posted on 27-12-11 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote

Thank you for the info. As of now, the property just wants to plug off the vac lines, but i do have my company looking into getting a plumbing camera. When i go back to fix it i'll let you know how it turned out.
Poolman

[*] posted on 27-12-11 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote

Pipe inspection camera or fix at the house, umm......
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top