Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Thermography
leakdoc

[*] posted on 22-2-11 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Thermography

To all my fellow leek geeks,
Just purchased a FLIR infra-red camera. For the cost, around $1700, this is my new favorite weopon in my arsenal. When dealing w/ small leaks that result in tile decks staining/raising, cantalever pools, infinity edges,water migrating into parking structures from a pool above, ie a small drip, this tool has proven to help determine the source of an otherwise difficult/impossible leak to locate. Another benefit is if there is a heater present, the temp. will increase in the area of the leak helping to locate the PVC. Just passing on a newly "affordable" technology that may save a lot of time and pay for itself in the long run.

Happy Hunting
Poolman

[*] posted on 22-2-11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote

Recently had e-mail offering FLIR infra red (uk) and wondered if it would help locate a general area by showing warmer deck etc.
Years back working for electricity company we used to employ dogs to sniff out oil leaks, wonder can I train dogs to find pool leaks.:)
reedpool

[*] posted on 22-2-11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote

which model Flir did you buy. Will it penetrate 2-4 feet under deck to locate pipe?
thanks
ChuckGeo

[*] posted on 24-2-11 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote

I'm real curious about the FLIR. Is it helpful in finding plumbing leaks underground? What if there's no heater? How close can you get and do you need to pressure test?
Thanks
jstinemire

[*] posted on 22-3-11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote

I had a presentation of thermography cameras from Fluke a few weeks ago, and it is impressive. I have looked at them for several years. The question is going to be more one of application. I am looking at expanding my business into other areas, and this would serve me well.

@Reedpool - No, it does not penetrate at all. It is not like x-ray. It senses surface temperature, the key word here being 'surface'. If you were to heat the water, you may be able to see the heat where it has risen to the surface, but if it is a hot or sunny day (warming the ground) you will lose that benefit. There are certifications available for thermography and, after seeing the unit, I understand why that is. You likely want to have some engineering propensity and understanding before using one.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top