Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: HH-66 Glue
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 30-1-11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
HH-66 Glue

At the Atlantic City show a large vinyl liner mfg stated that the best vinyl liner glue was HH-66

Has anyone used this glue? and if so, can you compare and contrast it to traditionally used Boxer glue.
What applications would HH-66 be best for?
When would Boxer be best?

Thank you
Bruce
poolrepairdiver.com
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
reedpool

[*] posted on 31-1-11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote

This would be interesting info. I am always looking for better products. Boxer glue works well for me-except in the area of getting it out of my hair after doing large underwater repairs
brrscuba

[*] posted on 31-1-11 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote

The liner factory rep was very high on the HH-66, he said it was as close as you could get to having the factory weld the material together. I ordered a couple of small cans to experiment with.
Still hoping for input on people who have used it.
The place I ordered it from had a restriction on shipping it to Canada, don't know why?

Bruce
poolrepairdiver.com
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trackerm

[*] posted on 1-2-11 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote

This underwater adhesive is not available locally. I have heard from others in the industry that this glue is superb compared to boxer. However, I have had great success with Boxer. Any information regarding HH66 would be appreciate. You can only find it online.
poolsetc

[*] posted on 1-2-11 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote

Bruce,

I have used HH-66 for years. It is a contact cement for vinyl liner material. It is used the same as other contact cements. I have never used it for underwater aplication. It is excellent for above the water patches. The largest patch I have done is 20” in diameter. The pool was drained down so the patch could be installed.
reedpool

[*] posted on 1-2-11 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote

http://rhadhesives.com/hh-66-vinyl-cement.html

does not appear to be designed for underwater application but might work anyway I am going to buy some and test it.
brrscuba

[*] posted on 9-2-11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote

HH-66 vs Boxer

I have run a few test patches, boxer vs HH this week, in a tub of water (my test pool is buried under 81 inches of snow since xmas)
Coming from somebody that has used boxer for decades and been pleased with it:
HH-66 has been very impressive and so far in all my tests has been superior,
It has provided a stronger bond, seems to have a lot less solvent in it. Boxer is a solvent weld bond and any excess glue can attack and weaken the vinyl. The HH seems to be more of a contact cement and did not weaken the vinyl nearly as much in my intentionally over applied test
It has found a place in my tool cart and I look ahead to pool use. I look forward to trying it on "rotten corners" and above water line tears.
Bruce
poolrepairdiver.com
trackerm

[*] posted on 15-2-11 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote

I received the HH66 last night. testing begins this evening.
trackerm

[*] posted on 18-2-11 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote

Great stuff, nothing more to say
poolsetc

[*] posted on 22-2-11 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote

Bruce,

I stated previously that I had not had success using hh-66 with under water patches. I talked to the manufaturer and he stated it is used in that application. I will try it again. I think that very large patches will have to be done dry.
trackerm

[*] posted on 19-3-11 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote

used it on a pool two days ago. in ground. it works nicely. the field test results are in in a pool that is 39 degrees. IT WORKS!!!
Lance
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 21-3-11 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote

Now available here
trackerm

[*] posted on 21-3-11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote

what sizes do you have lance?
trackerm

[*] posted on 21-3-11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote

i used hh66 saturday to repair two underwater repairs. One was a dime size hole in an inground liner. pool temp was 39 degrees. Same pool a second repair was a liner that pulled away out from the faceplate on the in the water bar feature, similar to a liner that pulls out of the faceplate on the stairs. pulled out a couple of screws on the faceplate, coated the six inch by four inch vinyl patch repair, set the screws and presto, nice repair. went back the next day to check on the patches (didnt get in the water this time) and pool looked great. HH 66 definately works in cold water. little thicker than boxer looks like glue you used in school Lance I see you have the eight ounce bottle. Thanks for getting this stuff its great!!!
Lance
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-3-11 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote

Actually we are currently just stocking the 4 oz. bottle. We will stock other sizes if there is demand. Our thought is that the 4 oz wil be most popular since less glue will be wasted in cans that "go dry."
brehmcon

[*] posted on 23-3-11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote

I agree on the smaller can Lance. I do the same with PVC glue and super glue.
4Leakman

[*] posted on 31-5-11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
So Whats the trick???

I bought a few cans of HH-66 and found that on above water repairs that it works great. I did not have the same experience with underwater patches though. Seemed that the glue did not want to adhere at all. Did I miss something here? For the guys that had good underwater adhesion I was just wondering "how did you do it??"
trackerm

[*] posted on 1-6-11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote

I did a above water repair yesterday on vinyl stairs and I have to say the hh66 performed far better than boxer could have. I cleaned the stairs initially and allowed that surface to dry. I applied hh66 to the repair vinyl and also allowed it to dry. The repair was flat, no raised or curled edges. The homeowner was very happy. As hh66 does work ok underwater, it performs far better above the water line. boxer is superior the below the water line level repairs.
4Leakman

[*] posted on 2-6-11 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
It worked underwater?

I found that I hardly got any underwater bonding power with the HH-66. I switched to the Boxer glue right away. It is messy but it works.. HH-66, not so much!
reedpool

[*] posted on 3-6-11 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote

Same experience as trackerm-great glue dry not so good underwater
halligan

[*] posted on 9-6-11 at 04:57 AM Reply With Quote

For large above water line patches try Oatey shower pan liner adhesive. It looks like antifreeze but so far it has worked great. I stumbled across this doing a job for a construction superintendent. He had huge beautiful patches above the waterline. They were entire liner samples. When I say they were beautiful I simply mean they were perfectly flat with no peeling at the edges and no bubbling. Obviously I inquired, and found that he used Oatey purchased at Home Depot.
ande2011

[*] posted on 26-8-11 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote

I have used for years. Largest patch I have used it on was 1'x20'. I have always use it with the vinyls being dry. The
glue can be found at most boat tarp companies.
leekmaster

[*] posted on 13-1-12 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote

have used on large and small above water repairs for years.especially good for torn or pulled corners.have not tried underwater as retailer had poor feedback from residential customers using underwater and sold me his inventory at reduced rate.glad to see anderson is carrying as i use a lot.:)
tomruo

[*] posted on 13-6-13 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote

have used HH-66 for 10 years. Did a 3' x 3' dry patch that lasted longer than the liner. We use Acetate to clean all of the existing dye from the liner to be patched. Painters tape is used to tape off area for cleaning. Works great. Never tried it underwater as Boxer works great for that application.
RChellew

[*] posted on 8-7-13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
HH-66

Boxer works better than HH-66 underwater every time. HH-66 does however work better above the waterline. Also the brush would be better if replaced with a dauber. A little secret though. Oatey shower pan liner adhesive is the best adhesive I've found for above the waterline patches. It comes in a large can and is very cheap at Home Depot. I learned this from a customer who had made a huge patch above the waterline. It looked great. I've been using it ever since.
 Pages:  1  2
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top