Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Hydrophone -- feedback
leakyg

[*] posted on 14-12-10 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hydrophone -- feedback

I am about to pick up a hydrophone, just wanted some feedback from anyone who has it. In what cases do you use it, and has it pinpointed an issue that you couldnet find otherwise, or does it just assist zoning in on the problem?
thanks
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 15-12-10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote

Lotza feedback on previous posts. All good tho....
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 16-12-10 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote

It is a great tool to have, not one that I use every week. When faced with floor returns (all on one shared line) I was able to drop it down each one and determine which one and how many inches down the pipe the sound (leak) was. Very good on broken skimmers, good to listen to shared returns to narrow down the xlt search area, good to help confirm sounds under decks with similiar sound underwater, in cold water if you suspect a hydro valve is open you can listen to each valve and shorten your cold dive time. Many possible uses, not very expendsive, make sure to get the correct one for the model# xlt you own
Bruce
poolrepairdiver.com
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
professionalpoolcare

Mood: entertained

[*] posted on 20-12-10 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote

Twice this year it was the hydrophone that pinpointed the leak for me that I couldn't find otherwise. Both were similar circumstances with the pool leaking at the tile perimeter.

We had no visual response from the dye being pulled into the area but the hydrophone told me yes it was leaking right there.

It is a valuable tool to have in your arsenal.

I have found leaks with it that I guess if you didn't have one you might have pressurized the lines and listened with your XLT. But thats definately more work than pushing the hydro down the pipe and listening for it :)

The worst thing about the hydrophone is bumping it into things while listening for leaks. Ouch my ears.:(

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trackerm

[*] posted on 21-12-10 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote

I have used it in many occasions. Its a great tool to use to insert into returns to listen to the pipe to where it t's off. sometimes a broken return fitting will be blocked during a pressure test that makes it look like the pipe is good and PRESTO. its in the wall sleeve. As Bruce mentioned, its great in skimmers and bottom drains and limits your cold water diving time if you can sort things out before putting on the dry suit. I highly recommend it as its found many leaks for me. not a tool i use all the time but nonethless its helped.
halligan

[*] posted on 2-6-11 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote

Does the hydrophone pick up the sound of water trickling out of the leak? Just curious since the XLT is usually picking up the sound of air during pressure testing scenarios.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top