Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Hydrophone vs dye
professionalpoolcare

Mood: entertained

[*] posted on 19-11-10 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hydrophone vs dye

So how is this possible?

I found a leak on the tile line grout joint. This pool has 2 rows of small 2.5" tile. It's cracked between the top row and bottom row. I'm expecting to find a crack along the beam when we pull the tile off.

For a temp repair I have used 2 part epoxy to plug the area solid to where I don't see any dye pulling through anywhere from the top or bottom rows. Hooked up the hydrophone and I can still hear leaking.

Is it possible for the dye not to pull through an area that is leaking?

A similar thing happened to me on a main drain that the builder didn't attach the frame to the bottom pot (there is alot of that around here.) I epoxied the whole area in between and no leaking afterwards.

I'm just wondering if I am missing the current somehow with the dye or if there is the possibility of no dye stream but still leaking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pooldiverandrew

[*] posted on 19-11-10 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote

short answer is yes. I find dye testing often difficult to judge that high up,there is just not always alot of "pull" most often using process of elimination and observation as a diagnosis. how much water are you losing ina day? can you let the water level drop to that point, as confirmation of a stopping point, or if it drops below the tile band area there is another problem.
When patching holes in a vinyl liner, I seldom confirm with dye if water is actually leaking from the hole, if the scenario (amount/type of holes) does not make sense to me then I will confirm with dye, to see if it is being pulled.there are definetly times, dye will not get pulled through the hole at the time of testing for whatever reason. whenever I locate a hole, if it is pulling dye or not, it is patched. Another tricky area is skimmer mouth/faceplate,there is just not always enough pressure to get a good pul on dye, so a backup test is to let the water drop to the lowest point, if necessary, or fill to the deck to get enough water to confirm or ruleout the skimmer/faceplate, that is seldom done.

Andrew
trackerm

[*] posted on 22-11-10 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote

i have found that leaks high in a pool do not produce enough visible results to confirm leaking status through dye testing. Lances underwater microphone has been a bit hit for me in detecting leaks that other wise cant see but can hear. for the small investment of an underwater microphone (and if you own a xlt 17 or 30) its definately worth it. i have impressed customers with the microphone. great product and accessory to compliment all the other tools in your leak detection arsenal.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top