Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Rail anchor leak
thepoolsitter

[*] posted on 23-7-10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Rail anchor leak

I believe I have found a leak in the hole where the hand rail is anchored on the bottom step of a concrete pool. Dye appears to be flowing into it. I would like to know if Fix-A- Leak might be the answer to this problem. I have used it on vinyl pools that had over 100 pin holes due to a cheap vacuum head and found it to be effective. Never tried it on concrete. I would appreciate any suggestions.
The Pool Sitter
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 23-7-10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote

First confirm that the anchor is leaking, pull out the rail, plug the opening, a #11 or #12 tapered plug should fit, this leaves only the small area where the lock bolt is located open, you should get a definative dye result, if it is leaking, clean out the fitting and coat the bottom with a thick layer of fast set epoxy putty, wait 5 minutes, retest with dye, wait a few more minutes, reinstall railing,I have not had a re-occurance, I think the Fix-A-Leak would fail under the wear from the railing
Bruce
poolrepairdiver.com
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 23-7-10 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote

1. 100 pin holes not from cheap vacuum.Price of vacuum shouldn't cause leaks in liner. Substrate issue or bugs or worn out liner.
2. Your leak is probably not from rail socket. Concrete pool structure thickest at that point. (but if it is congrats on finding it)
3. Bruce is right with the fix.
thepoolsitter

[*] posted on 27-7-10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote

Thank you brrrscuba and Sdewolfe for your responses. I am fortunate to have this resource available to me.

Regarding the vacuum head, I could see where the debris beneath the liner had scratched the back portion of the head. I think the brushes were not positioned close enough to the perimeter and it dragged on the wall at the point where the slope and bottom meet. Sand particles beneath cut the liner. All the holes were within two inches from the bottom.
thepoolsitter

[*] posted on 19-9-10 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
You were right!

The leak was in the light, not the stair. It took a lot of dye testing to confirm it. The pool was painted black and made it very difficult to see the purple dye.
reedpool

[*] posted on 19-9-10 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote

congrats on finding it. Those dark pools make fluorescent dye or milk worth having in your kit.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top