Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: My leak guy pissed me off.
professionalpoolcare

Mood: entertained

[*] posted on 22-4-10 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
My leak guy pissed me off.

I have started my own in house leak detection because I could no longer do business with my current leak guy. He couldn't give me a simple pricing menu so I could tell my customers what the base price would be for leak detection. He may have been a competent leak guy but definitely not a competent business man. (There is more to it than that but I don't want to blab about it.) So it's time to move on.

I have a pool service company with over 300+ pools and usually have 1 or 2 detections needed each week. All I have right now is SCUBA gear, a pressure induction kit and dye. Just with that I have already successfully found and repaired leaks in 2 pools. Almost all of our pools are concrete but I am getting calls from people around town that have vinyl liners and fiberglass.

I am looking at purchasing the XLT17 with hydrophone next but I am thinking the leaktrac 2200 might be a better choice. Can the XLT17 help me find leaks in vinyl liners also?

Should I just save up and go for the big dog XLT30? Is it that much better?

What would you suggest I invest in next?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

Mood: spring smellin''

[*] posted on 23-4-10 at 02:43 AM Reply With Quote

TO PLAY DEVILS ADVOCATE , I TRY NOT TO GET LOCKED INTO OVR THE PHONE PRICING AS I FIND THAT DOES A DISSERVICE ACROSS THE BOARD.
I TRY TO MAINTAIN A BASE RATE AND SUGGEST THAT ADDITIONAL CHARGES ARE CASE SPECIFIC AND MUST BE SEEN TO DETERMINE.
IT SOUNDS AS IF YOU HAVE MADE A SOUND DECISION TO VENTURE INTO LEAK DETECTION. AT FIRST, AS HAS BEEN SAID HERE OFTEN, IT CAN BE CONFUSING BUT WILL BEGIN TO GO CLICK AFTER A WHILE.
I HAVE HAD VARING REVIEWS ON SOME OF THE EQUIPMENT YOU MENTION.
I SUGGEST ONE ON ONE INQUIRY WITH SOME OF THE MORE ACTIVE GUYS ON THE FORUM THEN DIGEST THE DATA.
LEAKTRAC IS A GOOD TOOL BUT I DON'T ALWAYS USE IT.
I THINK I AM CORRECT TO SAY THAT ANY PRODUCT FROM ANDERSON HAS A 30 DAY RETURN POLICY IF TAKEN CARE OF PROPERLY.
IF I CAN HELP IN ANY WAY ,PLEASE CONTACT ME
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member 1215's Yahoo
professionalpoolcare

Mood: entertained

[*] posted on 23-4-10 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote

What I was thinking was something to this effect:

Regular Pool = $x
Large Pools over ??? surface area = $a
Pool & Spa = $x + y
Pool Addtl. add $z per item (ex. vanishing edge, waterfall, extra skimmer)
Floor Systems add $b per jet

All I am trying to do here is figure out approximately how long each of these particulars will take and charge time for them without actually telling the customer that my charge is blah per hour. Because as I get better at this, what takes me 3 hours now will only take me an hour and a half later. And I shouldn't be penalized because I am faster at finding leaks. I'm sure all of you know that :)

I am only applying the same pricing style that I use to bid pool service contracts. It has served me great all of these years and I see it being applicable to leak detecting.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

Mood: spring smellin''

[*] posted on 23-4-10 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote

YOU MAKE SOME GOOD POINTS.
MAYBE CHECK YOUR AREA COMPETITION AND GO FROM THERE ?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member 1215's Yahoo
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 24-4-10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote

You are on the right track, I use a similiar price structure to the ideas you listed.
In addition to the items you listed that were extra $ those of us in colder areas usually have a summer season rate and an off-season Drysuit season surcharge, what area are you in?
Talk to Anderson, they are extremely open in helping you determine which equipment is the best fit for the type of pools (liner, fiberglass, cement) you encounter, how many of each type of pool, and what your budget and payback time is
feel free to call me, my add on the LeakTools service providors listing is on area code 203 or 860
I would also suggest to any new person to read ALL the entries on this forum, there are a lot of great ideas, money making solutions, and great people to share ideas with
Bruce:D
trackerm

[*] posted on 25-4-10 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote

Congratulations on getting on getting into leak detection. Its a rewarding, fun, profitable endeavor that I am sure you will be rewarding for you.

E mail me at almleakdetection.com if you have the time.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top