Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: hydrophone
cpr

[*] posted on 4-2-10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
hydrophone

I was wondering if I could get some advice on the hydrophone ( I have an xlt17) Do they work good? How sensitive are they? 99 percent of the pools I go to are gunite.

Mood: spring smellin''

[*] posted on 5-2-10 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote

buy it
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member 1215's Yahoo
trackerm

[*] posted on 5-2-10 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote

BUY IT!!!! invaluable. sometimes that microphone can be the tool of either finding the leak or not. worth every penny
cpr

[*] posted on 5-2-10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote

Rite now I dye test all the pools with an needle and dye what advantage if any would I gain if i bought the hydrophone? I could see using it in the winter I guess but I would still have to get in to verify.
cpr

[*] posted on 5-2-10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote

Rite now I dye test all the pools with an needle and dye what advantage if any would I gain if i bought the hydrophone? I could see using it in the winter I guess but I would still have to get in to verify.

[*] posted on 6-2-10 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote

cpr,dude! ask yourself this"what does an underwater microphone do?"
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member 1215's Yahoo
trackerm

[*] posted on 6-2-10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote

I have used the underwater microphone around skimmer throats on gunite pools where the box meets the plaster (they love to leak there) For the price its invaluable to me in that you can "sample" areas of the pool for sound. I have used the underwater microphone to actually hear the water rushing behind the liner. That helped me find the leak. Yes, I still get into the pool to make the repair. Its great hands down.
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 10-2-10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hydrophone

Two years ogo had a brand new pool, broken floor returns, listening with the xlt narrowed it down to two returns??, then removed all the floor return plugs and inserted the hydrophone down each one, absolute confirmation, the roar of the leak pegged the led readout at 99 and I had to remove the headphones, the sound was so load that the pool builder could hear the headphone sound while standing on the opposite side of the pool, was able to pinpiont the leak within 2 inches, next day the builder excavated a tunnel under the pool to get to the leak, see attached tunnel photo, my location was spot on.
Bruce

brrscuba has attached this image:
tunnel1.jpg - 76.27kb
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trackerm

[*] posted on 11-2-10 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote

I had a pool that had a small leak in the return line that lost a very small amount of pressure over five minutes that could not be heard with the xlt bigfoot or probe. I inserted the microphone into the pipe and presto, you could hear the leak. i used that measurement of the wire that went into the pipe and that was accurate enough to find the location of the leak and fix the pipe.
trackerm

[*] posted on 16-2-10 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote

Had a pool builder in new jersey call me yesterday. He is building a pool (indoor) in a brand new gym that is opening this friday. he filled the pool and lost four inches of water overnight. he was convinced it was a light conduit line. Dye testing the returns i noticed they were taking in a lot of dye being pulled in. I inserted the microphone into each of the returns and found the line leak in one of them. That line was a 90 degree elbow that extended down vertically. He just called me this morning to tell me the leak was exactly where I told him. No pressure test, no bigfoot sensor. just the xlt 30 and the microphone. The customer dug up the expensive tile this morning and found the leak. Needless to say, he is getting rid of his leak detector he has used previously and bringing me on board. He was exceptionally impressed with the electronics, including the microphone. Small investment proves to have more gains than the intial cost of the microphone. Once again, Just buy one.

[*] posted on 16-2-10 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote

one for the good guys.
leaky2

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 2-3-10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote

The hydrophone can save your but in cold weather- but I went to Ebay and got a long telescopic fishing pole and zip tied the cord to the pole- it compacts down to 3' and is very agile in water. I would not mind a second one (not on a pole) just to listen inside plumbing.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger

[*] posted on 3-3-10 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote

leaky2, thanks. good idea. since i already have a quality pool pole in my van for leaktrac i use plastic friction tape to attach my hydrophone to it. i am real careful to make sure all is very dry.
Luv the my butt thing. the older i get the fonder i am of mine.
sunofasack

[*] posted on 12-3-10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote

I almost never use my mic. Never really had much luck with it. I sent in my Fischer XLT-30 to get modifyed to work with sensor. Problem was they didn't have my sensor in hand to make sure everthing matched up. When ever I use my mic. I here a lot of interferance. I'm thinking of sending the XLT-30 and the mic back to Fischer for a re-cal. You guy's talk so highly about it. I think it would be a good thing for leak's. Keep you updated.

[*] posted on 13-3-10 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote

my mic works real good with my 16
waitedk

[*] posted on 18-3-10 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote

brrscuba, Im glad that you got this pool repaired but would be very careful about digging a hole like that. I think that OSHA would have something to say about not shoring the side walls to prevent cave-ins.
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 18-3-10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote

I agree with you. I had no part of the tunnel. Builder did it the day following the dive.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top