Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Sheer Descents
BN

[*] posted on 20-7-06 at 02:39 PM
Sheer Descents

Has anyone found a good way to pressurize sheer descents ( waterfalls ) ? If I suspect one is leaking I have to dig up the planter bed.
windsorleakdetection

[*] posted on 20-7-06 at 06:21 PM

If you can just try to isolated the waterfalls. If the pool is still leaking with the waterfalls off than you can rule out the waterfalls. If the leak stops than you probably found the leak.
leakmasters

[*] posted on 27-3-07 at 02:38 AM

run the sheer have some one turn it off and see if you can listen for the leak as the pip fills up with water the water will run out the leak, its worked for me. 2 or 3 times isolat the sheer befor
barneswater

[*] posted on 7-5-07 at 04:28 PM

After testing the pool, spa, and all lines available including the sheer suction if separate pump. You may want to perform a 24 hour loss test with the sheer descent return isolated. Additionally, if a separate pump has been used make sure and let air into the system and break prime. I have had two jobs where the water has syphoned through the pump and check valves just to exit through a cracked sheer return underground and located below water level.
polkleak

[*] posted on 30-5-07 at 05:25 PM

You can use a piece of liner bead lock, tap it in with a rubber hammer, than cover it with a piece of duct tape. use as little air pressure as possible, and dont induce water unless you have to.
Crystalleak

[*] posted on 18-4-09 at 06:27 PM

I apply Anderson fast-set epoxy to the lip of the sheer and let it dry for approx 10 minutes. Then I pressure the pipe with Nitrogen and take it up to 10 psi. If there is a leak through the sheer or the pipe, I know right away.
pooltech1

[*] posted on 30-4-09 at 10:55 PM

You can use the provided plastic stops that fit in the sheer along with some duct tape and use low pressure(1-5 psi) to try and locate if you are sure there is a pipe leak. I recommend figuring out pipe route from fall to pump, probing along route (if soil marking holes with flags every 5 ft or drilling through deck if necessary) and using helium detector to get in general area of leak, then use listener. This is one of the most difficult leaks to pin point so be sure to tell customer no guarantee and general location only if you are not sure detection is spot-on. Good luck
leaky2

Mood: excellent

smile.gif posted on 22-5-09 at 07:20 PM
Sheer decent leak

Most of the sheer decent leaks are at the back of the waterfall. The molded plastic is too thin and cracks right were the male adapter threads in. Dig in the flower pot first or shut it down.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
sunofasack

[*] posted on 12-3-10 at 05:33 PM

Leaky2 is correct. The waterfall assembley. is just a thin male adapter glued onto a plastic welded form. I've had to drill a tap hole in the deck behind the desent. Be carefull not to drill into the plastic assy. This is for sure on of the worst leaks to locate.

ChuckGeo

[*] posted on 1-12-10 at 03:18 PM

I agree with the post about using liner lock to seal a sheer descent. I would also add silicone caulk on the liner lock when you put it in the slot, and wait at least a day before testing. Use low pressure, I start with 5 PSI, never more than 10. Remember, if you blow it out you're back to square one and have to start all over.

bruce

[*] posted on 16-2-11 at 11:58 AM

You must find the pipe at the back of sheer digging or open some axcess cut pipe pressure test sheer feed line if line holds and you have tested everything else you now no it is the sheer time to open it up not sure what is around sheer ? Time to replace back fitting or the sheer itself don't expoy it fix it once
aleak

[*] posted on 18-4-11 at 05:43 PM

How about all leak detection companies band together and tell Sheer Descent to fix this problem. If they build it then they need to figure out how to test it. Good Luck
Also the pool builder should at least install a valve behind the wall so the rest of the pipe can be pressure tested.
Sheer descent is not doing their customers a favor but not providing a way to test the system.
And I don't mean the day after it is built but 5 years later.
good luck
trackerm

[*] posted on 20-4-11 at 09:02 AM

I am with you aleak. You would think the pool builder would install a valve behind the descent. problem is, the valve goes bad and you can use it because it leaks and you are back to square one . Time to devise a plug to fit them. Lance, build us a plug!!!!
ManlyMaid

[*] posted on 20-2-12 at 07:25 PM

hey be bright out there sheer descents pay plumbing repair time just to dig up or what ever it may be to test it. you can isolate with leakalyzer and open up the jandy then plug the jandy back to the pad. presto you have a good paying gig and your 100%. now only if I had the $$ for leakalyzer. here crack injection where are you?
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top