Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: skimmer leaks
poolchoice

shocked.gif posted on 25-9-09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
skimmer leaks

When looking for a leak in the pool, I have found a few small cracks in skimmers. I have a Leak trac for vinyl liners and it really helps on liner leaks.
But I havent found a good way to test skimmers. I have tried dye, but the dye doesn't seem to work good in the skimmer.
Does anybody have any advice, or do i need a XLT17 w/hydrophone.
And if i need this, do they work on skimmer leaks.
I have a geophone set, but I have trouble pinpointing leaks in plumbing and have never tried them around a skimmer.
thanks
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 25-9-09 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote

You can make or buy a "Leak Peeker" it's a clear lexan or plexiglass circle that fits over the flange that the basket rests on and creates a negative pressure environment so a leak turns into air entering skimmer body from leak. Look up "Black Bottom Products" for more info.
poolchoice

[*] posted on 26-9-09 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote

Thanks for the info.
I have a hard time finding out about the leak peaker. No web page for the blackbottom products.
(that i have been able to find).
But you are saying that if i put the clear lexan plexiglass plate in the skimmer, It will create bubbles (at the leak area).
or Do i need to put air pressure in the skimmer line and then bubble will appear.
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 26-9-09 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote

With the pool pump on and the valve (if any) on skimmer suction. place the clear disc over the skimmer and this will create a vacuum throughout the skimmer body. You can increase or decrease the vacuum by covering the hole in the middle of the peeker. This device was invented by a guy here in Phoenix who needed a way to show homeowners the leaks in their black bottom skimmers made by Swimquip in the late 60's and early 70's.
His # is 602-279-1901
trackerm

[*] posted on 28-9-09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote

I have used a xlt 30 on skimmers with success. I usually place the hydrophone in several places on the skimmer and detect an audible noise. moving it around and placing it directly on the skimmer housing and moving it around listening and watching the gauge simultaneously. When the leak is confirmed with dye testing its a good opportunity to sell a skimmer injection as a alternative to skimmer replacement. You can make a good on your investment in the injection kit by marketing it this way. Give it a try.
poolchoice

[*] posted on 28-9-09 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote

(Leak Peaker) Sounds like something that I need in my tool box.
Could you tell me if the noise from the XLT17/30 w/Hydrophone is pretty distinct (especially in the skimmer).I have Geophones and dislike them as I don't have the best hearing.
thanks
trackerm

[*] posted on 29-9-09 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote

The noise is distinct. Depends on how far away from the actual leak you are. You can be in the top of the skimmer and hear something. sounds like air rushing past your ear. as you get closer to the leak the sound will increase. once you are on top of it, well, enough said. the underwater microsphone is an invaluable tool that i think is great in locating leaks. You can even hear water moving BEHIND the liner if you get close enough to the source. Worth every penny if you purchase one.
4Leakman

[*] posted on 3-10-09 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Use Plast-Aid

Plast-Aid is a wonderful product... We repaired to skimmers and two different sets of fiberglass steps with it just this week. Inexpensive but does a wonderful job of repairing many, many types of materials. The repair will outlast the skimmer, although the skimmer may crack in other areas, which is good for business!!! :P
poolchoice

[*] posted on 3-10-09 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote

I like the Plast-aid product as it seems better than most epoxy products. I have used it on a few pressure side leaks and it works great. I tried it on a couple of steps with mixed results.
I drilled a hole in the step and sprayed expanding foam, then sealed it off with Plast-aid. The Plast-aid cracked off and the step leaked again.
The problem in skimmers is the leak is hard to see or it is under the basket lip, which makes it hard to repair.

Mood: spring smellin''

[*] posted on 5-10-09 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote

I HAVE USED A LEAK TRAC IN SKIMMERS THAT IT WILL FIT IN.ALSO USE HYDROPHONE ON THE BINIC EAR. BEST WISHES.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member 1215's Yahoo
Poolman

[*] posted on 20-12-09 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote

Leak Peaker sounds like the cornea that you can use to vac through the skimmer basket.:)
cpr

[*] posted on 3-2-10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote

I use a needle and dye, If it is a small crack and does not suck dye- not leaking inform customer let them make choice of weather or not to repair. If it is a larger crack and is below water line it is leaking no matter what. Even if it is not taking dye the pool water will erode away the gunite and turn into a leak. Keep in mind the crack is there for a reason, Ground movement ? roots? plastic brittle? Do you want to go back only to find that crack leaking ?
I find it is always best to keep customer informed of your discovery that way if you say well it does not show to be leaking now but could in the future you have covered your ass. I have has customers call me back a month later and ask me to replace the skimmer as precaution. Most of my customers do not care of the cost as long as they know there pool is not leaking.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top