Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: I just love it.
trackerm

[*] posted on 7-9-09 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
I just love it.

I had a pool builder in my area call me this week to find out exactly what it is that i do as far as my service is concerned. I explained to him that I dont repair pools via the "broom method" in which most leak detectors will agree, is shoddy, lousy work. After having a short conversation with this gentleman who said he has about a 400 customer base and in having said that (and this is the part I like) with promises of all kinds of work in the future. While I dont want to second guess anyone who is contacting a leak detector for work, to my astonishment he wanted to float work by my way at a price that was ridiculously low.

In my area, "leak detectors" charge a wide range of pricing from prices i cant surmise a person staying in business vs outlandishing high prices (some at a third of what a new liner would cost). While I am in the mentality of understanding our specialty and charging accordingly, we all know and understand the value of our service. What shocks me is that pool companies who dont perform leak detection dont understand the full value and cost of professional leak detection and repair service. Liner costs increase 12 percent a year. Should not leak detection pricing increase over the years as well?? Why is it that a pool that cost x amount to leak detect and repair ten years ago should cost the same now? Economics anyone? Gas prices higher, cost of maitaining equipment, insurance sky rocketing, etc...

I guess its kinda like managed care in the health care industry; Insurance companies negotiate pricing with health care provicers and that health care provider can either agree to pricing or outright refuse to accept that particular insurance.

Bottom line, I wont sell myself short or anyone else in the industry whom I think is fair, competent, and reasonable. there is plenty of work out there for everyone if you look for it. I wont sell myself short to pick up a few more pools to save a few bucks for a pool company who thinks I , or a fellow leak detector, is too expensive and should do it for what they think we are worth. After all, they set their own pricing, why cant we?

Nuff said. Any takers on this one????????
thepoolsitter

[*] posted on 8-9-09 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote

Here, here! ......Well said.

My first posting was an inquiry as to how to determine how much I should charge my customers. I had no clue. I knew that I was well below others in my area and that I did not have the expertise to demand the going rate. However, after awhile I realized that with the reliable equipment purchased from Anderson and the information that has been shared from others in this industry on their web site I can now charge a fair and reasonable amount for the work that we do. Yesterday one of my customers wrote a cheque for $350.00 for one hour's work.

The city by-law enforcement officer was sent out to issue a warning to him because of the amount of pool water that was collecting on the near-by walkway. This had been going on all summer.

He was so grateful for the work we did that he gave us a tip.

Think about the consequences of not calling us to find and correct a leak. It won't take long before you realize the value of our servive
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 8-9-09 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote

It's all about understanding your market!!!We serve a capitalist, market driven society. As such, you as a leak detector, serve sub markets in that society.
If you charge ($) you are going to be able to serve the whole market. You'll have less profit margin than the guy who charges more.
If you charge ($$) you will not get those that can or will only pay $. If you charge ($$$) you will serve the upper end of the market.
The mitigating factors are your competitors who provide some of the supply to serve the demand for service.
Figure out which market you want and price accordingly.
"We're the low price leader" versus "We have the experience to do it right the first time"
The age old question to ask is "do you really want the cheapest...or You get what you pay for"
You should not be getting all the jobs you bid or you are priced too low.
The upper end of the market is more difficult to serve generally due to the level of service you need to provide. But the payoff is in the profit margin and satisfaction of serving a more discriminating customer.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top