Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: MAYDAY...MAYDAY!!!
akis

[*] posted on 10-8-09 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
MAYDAY...MAYDAY!!!

Hello, I am Akis from Cyprus, an Eastern Mediteranean Island for those who don't know. I am a new "wet behind the ears" leak detector and a new member to this great forum. In addition to installing fiberglass swimming pools for the passed 8 years I also started addressing requests to detect leaks in my area for all types of pools especilaly liners. After much research and thought I decided to purchase Anderson's Leak detection kit + other items I thought would be usefull like the Leakyliser and the Helium detector. This is my 3rd failed attempt to locate a leak with an XL-30 listening device after isolating the line. I must have gone over the CD manual at least ten times to find what I could be doing wrong. I do not get the "gurgling" sound. This has posed much embarassement to me with the clients as I cannot identify the exact spot where the leak is and obviously end up not charging them. 90% of the lines around pools in our area are UPVC hoses...could this be the problem or am I just too "wet behind the ears" still?
trackerm

[*] posted on 10-8-09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote

are you pressurizing with water or air??? you need to evacuate all the water out of the line as possible, charge with air and start listening. Do you have the headphones attached to the jack fully in the control unit? do you have the connection between the bigfoot and the control unit connected properly? Do ou have new batteries in the control unit. Check your filters.there are so many variables in finding unground leaks with the xlt 30. I would suggest you determine if the unit is working properly and you have it connected properly
pooltech1

[*] posted on 10-8-09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote

Depending on the listening surface (concrete, stone, soil etc...) and the size of the pressure drop, different leaks will make different sounds. I recommend separating the suction from the return by plugging the front of the pump in the pot. If you can, induce your air the same way the water flows. If you can't get a good leak sound with straight air, try an air and water mix. If the return line is leaking, induce air in one outlet and water from another or air from the pump water from the pool. If on suction side, put a flex inducer in front of pump(if no check valve) and one in skimmer and mix water and air. With the xlt30 I recommend using the "Little Foot" attachment when listening on concrete. Also, helium is a great gas to use due to the smaller atoms escape the leak faster than water or nitrogen and you can use the Leak Hunter to get an approx. search area. As a last resort and if possible, I'll sometimes slide an inflatible plug with a long hose as far down the line as I can then pressure test against it. If it holds, I'll mark the hose and pull back 2' at a time until the pressure drops again and mark that area. Always keep in mind most leaks occur on a fitting, so using your best judgement to approximate where any fittings may be useful in your search.
Good Luck!
akis

[*] posted on 11-8-09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote

Checked on all of the above trackerm, thanks man. Pooltech1 you have confirmed most of the issues dabbling in my mind the last few days. I have not used the Helium as yet! For my next job though (tomorrow morning), my game plan will be to first isolate with water, then to drill holes in the concrete deck where I think the line's fittings will/should be, then induce helium gas. I don't have the "leakhunter" only the "LS70 Leak Detector"...but I am sure that I will get good enough readings with that. Only once I have traced some helium (Please God) around one of my holes, will I take out the XL-30 to sniff around in that area. As you mentioned earlier, different leaks will make different sounds, but at least I will know that I'm basically in the right area, and hence will be able centralise my search. Advice much appreciated, cheers!
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 11-8-09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote

Everything you do, even the missed leaks goes into your "experience" category. None of us can honestly say we find all leaks, even with the best equipment available. Granted the equipment is better than ever but the brain is the real leak detector. It used the evidence given it by the situation and formulates a theory on where the leak might be based on all your senses. What you see at the pool, what you hear from the customer, etc. Then you have to prove the theory with more evidence given by leaktracker, xlt30, and of course the flow chart.
Pinpointing leaks is the goal, but more often, especially underground pipe leaks, we explain that based on the evidence we have gathered, we mark the leak "area". We explain that we have found "a" leak, never say "the" leak because you never know if it's the only leak.
ALD

[*] posted on 11-8-09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote

Well said Sdewolfe.
pooltech1

[*] posted on 14-8-09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote

I agree Sdewolfe. In fact on every pipe leak I find I explain to the customer that our methods of detection is not an exact science and location is based on a best effort basis. Also I explain there is always a chance of secondary leaks on the same line and if I do the repair I will re-test at no charge. This not only helps in securing the repair but prepares the customer for possible cost impacts to the original esstimate to repair other leaks.
davido723

[*] posted on 29-8-09 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote

Watch those "holes" being drilled. Case inpoint here I was drilling a few holes to verify my findings. I drilled 1 hole and got NO water on the dowel rod, moved over a few inches and drilled again, no water.
I said cut the deck anyway. The pipes were run high ( about 2" below the deck ) and I drilled on BOTH sides of the pipes I JUST MISSED THEM. I got lucky.

David O'Connell Jr.
Reef Property Services, Inc.
561-795-9393
http://reefpropertyservices.com
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top