Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Liner Bug Bites?
mcmpoolservice

[*] posted on 17-8-08 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Liner Bug Bites?

This season I have found about 30 pools with 50+ little tiny bug bites that are causing the leaks. I have researched it on google and found that it is very common, but I have had no luck finding out exactly what the bugs are, or what the conclusion is to fix the problem.

Has any of you ran into the problem, and found an actual answer as to what causes this, or what the oppropriat action is to fix it so it will not just keep happening after all the holes are patched?

TIA.
thepoolsitter

[*] posted on 17-8-08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote

I have encountered this problem as well but in my case it was due to mice infestation over the winter. Good luck.
trackerm

[*] posted on 17-8-08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote

i had one pool this season that had small holes (over 50) that were from bugs boring through the liner. i dont know the species
4Leakman

[*] posted on 17-8-08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Up here... usually termites

We've had plenty of this activity up here (Rhode Island, Mass. ans CT.) over the past many years. For the most part it appears to be termites. We have found that usually a major clue is that the holes are very tiny and round. Many can't easily be seen but the leaktracker picks the right up. The holes for the most part are within two feet of the pool walls. Sometimes there are a few further out but the bulk of them are near the walls. When we now its a bug problem we take out the handy dandy punch set (just bought another kit) and start gluing patches. We can get the pool sealed and silent as far as the leaktracker is concerned but I tell the owners that they have an ongoing problem that we are not responsible for. From the information that I have been able to ascertain, the bugs are actually interested in the wall foam. They are attracted to the cellulose. Why, I have no idea but before we reline a pool we have the owners contract with an extermination company to put a "barrier" around the pool and to treat the floor after the old liner is removed. Additionally, we will cut the wall foam about 6" short so that there is no ground contact. But, we have also found that these little buggers seem to love spa-flex hose. I call it hose as I had inquired with the manufacturer years back about this problem and they pointed out that they do not consider this product to be pipe. They consider it a hose and specify that it is not rated for underground use. But hey, who would guess that there are some lazy pool builders out there?? :o
More information that I obtained just this year was that some of the early spa-flex was formulated with a peanut oil base (yum yum) and that could have possibly caused an attraction to the product.
Anyway, I hope this answers some of your questions!
snak23

[*] posted on 21-8-08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote

I work on Long Island and I have many pools each year that have insect. I usually assume that they are from termites but they could be from ants or some other insect. I use the small hole punch and make a bunch of patches. I try to patch as money holes as I can, I at least take care of the larger ones. Lately, I have been supplementing the patching using a product called Fix A Leak. A 32 oz. bottle is enough for most pools. It works on holes 1/8" and smaller. (I tested this using a liner sample and a 1/8" drill bit and it worked well) I follow the directions on the bottle and I've had good results. It also works on small plumbing leaks.
It's important for the customer to understand that the root of the problem is the insects. Patching the liner will only solve the problem temporarily. The insects could create more holes after leaving the job. I recommend that they call an exterminator to deal with the insects.
When I find these holes, I sometimes use a black rubber plug to mark the spot so that I can find it easier when I'm ready to patch. I use 3 or 4 at a time and mark the next couple of holes before I get more patches.
ARTJETTON

[*] posted on 5-10-08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote

I HAVE PATCHED POOLS FOR APPROX 20 YRS. THE BUG BITES YOU ARE REFERRING TO CAN EITHER BE ANTS OR TERMITES. THE ONLY PLACE YOU WILL FIND THEM, UNLESS IT IS SOFT FILL DIRT, IS IN AN AREA 4 TO 6 INCHES, ABOVE OR BELOW THE SEAM THAT RUNS AROUND THE POOL. THAT SEAM IS IN THE SHALLOW AT THE 90 DEGREE OR AT THE DEEP AT THE 45...FIRE ANTS AND CARPENTER ANTS MAKE A SLIGHT SNIP, LIKE THE POINT OF AN EXACTO KNIFE AND TERMITES TEND TO MAKE A ROUND HOLE. WHEN THE POOL IS FULL, THE POOL LEAKS TO A POINT, USUALLY 3TO 6" DOWN THEN STOPS.BECAUSE THE WEIGHT AND PRESSURE IS REDUCED AND IT VIRTUALLY STOPS.
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 8-10-08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote

I also see a lot of Termite pinholes, usually above ground pools where the installer did not remove all the topsoil and or homeowners who allow grass and vegatation to grow right up to the wall. Where it is moderate (25 holes or less) I patch them and advise the owner to treat the exterior wall soil with SEVIN or TRIAZICIDE insecticide, owners have reported a great reduction in future holes. If the problem is major: over 50 holes, then flexible sealer is the way to go, it will get them thru the season and allow time to plan for a new liner, had one guy with 650 pinholes, fixed him up with flexible sealer in only one hour!
PS an earlier post had someone marking the location of the pinholes with plugs, Quarters work much better, in fact I painted 12 quarters red and use them to mark holes as I inspect pools, customers like this too because they can see that you are finding holes and where, and they know it is bad when you run out of quarters
Bruce
poolrepairdiver.com:)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
allaroundleaks

smile.gif posted on 12-10-08 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by mcmpoolservice
This season I have found about 30 pools with 50+ little tiny bug bites that are causing the leaks. I have researched it on google and found that it is very common, but I have had no luck finding out exactly what the bugs are, or what the conclusion is to fix the problem.

Has any of you ran into the problem, and found an actual answer as to what causes this, or what the oppropriat action is to fix it so it will not just keep happening after all the holes are patched?

TIA.
allaroundleaks

[*] posted on 12-10-08 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote

I once read an article about termites chewing through liners and this summer I was looking for a leak and the homeower was telling about his home just getting sprayed for termites when I dove his pool I found several are's about 3-4" in diameter circles with a dozen or so pin holes in each one andit hit me about reading the article. and known to chew thruogh flex line as well
theswmpoolguy

[*] posted on 13-10-08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote

I agree with all of the above answers. I have been doing leak detection and repair for 25 years plus. Could never figure why in most cases leaks where always in the "trouble zone" aprox 12" up and 18" onto the floor.What I generaly do is take a wax pencil and circle as many leaks as I can this shows the home owner the damaged areas and in many cases lets them see the holes. This season the worse case was 179 circles each containing multple leaks. In cases like this if I can patch a few areas to buy the customer some time I will. but I explain to them they need a new liner and not to sink a dime more into this one. I then charge them a mimimum rate as a consultation fee. As far as remidies I have been told that exterminating only last a short while. I have talked with exterminators about the posibility of injecting incecticide through the liner then just patching over the hole. They said no good as the incecticide could come back into the pool.

Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top