Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How about a "Tips & Tricks" page?
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 7-5-08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
How about a "Tips & Tricks" page?

I got tired of seeing the "poor business post" so I am posting this tip:

If you need an emergency blow up plug for a smaller pipe you can use a piece of latex tubing ( surgical style stuff) tied up at the end and inflate it with air or co2.
Practice before you need it and keep some on your truck.
There's alot more where that came from but I'll need some feedback if you want me to cough up more...

Go do that voodoo that you do so well...:P
ALD

[*] posted on 7-5-08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote

Nice, Sdewolfe!

Tip Number 2:

If an inflatable plug fails due to a hole or a slit and not a burst, it can be repaired with "Fix a flat" - $6 at the auto parts store. One can can fix multiple plugs. Just don't overfill it. It may take several refills on the plugs before the "Fix a flat" actually fills the hole. Also, do it directly to the plug, not through the extension hose. It's messy and smells horrible, but it's a good cheap fix.

#3:

Keep the "do not remove" plastic safety tags from your inflatable plugs when they arrive from anderson. They make a great backing to big repairs that would otherwise suck epoxy in. You can cut them down to size pretty easily.
windsorleakdetection

[*] posted on 7-5-08 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote

Better idea, buy a new inflatable plug. You need proper woking tools to do a good job and look proffesional.
Dave
cpr

[*] posted on 7-5-08 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote

I like the tips and trick Idea,got a small hole in a pipe and don't want to cut it ? drill out the hole slightly smaller than a jandy valve srew put teflon tape on screw and screw it in.Also a dremmel tool comes in real handy if you get the snake attachment an a dimond saw blade you can cut a pipe in the wall or if you have two pipe right next to each other and no room for a hacksaw
cut a square in pipe to gain acces in to pipe and finish cutting pipe from inside,just make sure you stick a trowel between pipes so you don't cut into other pipe.
ALD

[*] posted on 8-5-08 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote

Actually Windsor, repairing equipment that is repairable is the better idea. Replacing equipment that is repairable is a worse idea.

Further, a customer would never know if a plug was repaired or replaced so your declaration that it's unprofessional to repair a plug is completely incorrect.

Here's what is unprofessional though: getting on an online forum of your peers and encouraging others to be professional but not spelling professional correctly (or "working" for that matter).

Good luck!

or

Guhd luk!
windsorleakdetection

[*] posted on 9-5-08 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote

Ald
Maybe, you should teach spelling and get out of the leak detection business.
Good luck
hap

[*] posted on 10-5-08 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote

Yes magic voodoo is what we really do.;)

Repairing and replacing tools is a constant in this business.

Got my doctor to prescribe 3CC syringes(no needles) they're better at applying dye in controllable amounts.
hap
ALD

[*] posted on 10-5-08 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote

That's a good point Hap.

I've often screwed a stainless steel screw into the dye tester between the plunger and the body. This adds a little bit of tension on a new dye tester's plunger so all the dye doesn't shoot out too fast and flood the area you're examining. It also makes the dye tester sink so it stays where I put it.
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 10-5-08 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Dye

If you are dye testing a dark plaster or pebble pool you can use white shoe polish as a tracer (of course only if you're out of Lance's flourescent dye)

We have "black bottom" skimmers in the West that leak and the shoe polish dye works good to locate those leaks in addition to the Leak Peeker tool.

Love,Look, Listen, Locate!:P
hap

[*] posted on 11-5-08 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote

Thanks Steve fluorescent or blue dye is invisible in those black bottom skimmers. I like using a mirror to reflect sunshine into dark areas which makes blue dye slightly less than invisible.
hap

Quote:
Originally posted by Sdewolfe
If you are dye testing a dark plaster or pebble pool you can use white shoe polish as a tracer (of course only if you're out of Lance's flourescent dye)

We have "black bottom" skimmers in the West that leak and the shoe polish dye works good to locate those leaks in addition to the Leak Peeker tool.

Love,Look, Listen, Locate!:P
ALD

[*] posted on 12-5-08 at 05:12 AM Reply With Quote

What's the Leak Peeker?
reedpool

[*] posted on 12-5-08 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote

The white shoe polish sounds like a good idea. In a pinch you can also use milk in the dye tester for dark areas.
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 12-5-08 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote

ALD...

The Leek Peeker is a clear plexiglass plate that fits a Hayward, Swimquip, and some other model skimmers and it's used to tell you if the skimmer or main drain line is leaking.
It's made by Black Bottom Products and advertised in Service Industry News and Pool and Spa News...both great publications that you should subscribe to if you are in the pool or spa leak detection business. Can anyone recommend any other magazines?
ALD

[*] posted on 12-5-08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote

Thanks Sdewolfe

I subscribe to Aqua magazine. It's another industry publication.
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 13-5-08 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Another tip

If you carry some liquid dish soap on your truck, you can squirt couple of drops on the pool and notice that it changes the surface tension and calms the water so you can see much more clearly to the bottom. If the customer is standing there, you can tell them it's your secret formula...
hap

[*] posted on 14-5-08 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote

I used to do this in my cleaning days. It will make leaves and debris move to the tile quick.
hap

Quote:
Originally posted by Sdewolfe
If you carry some liquid dish soap on your truck, you can squirt couple of drops on the pool and notice that it changes the surface tension and calms the water so you can see much more clearly to the bottom. If the customer is standing there, you can tell them it's your secret formula...
ALD

[*] posted on 16-5-08 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote

Have any of you heard of an internal pipe repair system... a way to repair broken plumbing pipes without busting open a deck?
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 16-5-08 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Internal pipe repair

Hey ALD...
Try this URL http://www.nuflowtech.com/content/res_pipe.php
ALD

[*] posted on 17-5-08 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote

Nice. Thanks Sdewolfe. Have you or anyone tried it?
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 17-5-08 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote

Alot of us work with PVC for repairs and this stuff is real easy to work with. The downside is we usually do repairs in a tight spot underground with a bunch of other pipes in the way.
The industry has given us many great products like insiders and all those speciaty fittings.
If you are in a tight spot you can make your repair by using a torch or heat gun to soften the pipe and make a difficult angle work for you. It helps to wrap a wet cloth at the ends of your pipe so your glued socket joints aren't compromised by the heat.
Now I see that this page has been viewed by many more of you than have posted. So step in he pool and get wet by posting your own tips and tricks, OK?
hap

[*] posted on 18-5-08 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote

Here's something that I sometimes do when I run a 24 hour loss test on a pool and the customer is not there. I'll leave this note in a plastic sleeve and tie it to the test bucket handle...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PLEASE READ PLEASE READ

Bull's Eye Leak Detection is conducting a test on your pool or spa.

Please Do Not..........

Swim
Add water
Remove water
Backwash
Turn pump on
Turn pump off
Turn or adjust any valve
Disturb any testing tools

Please inform Hap if you have done any of the above at 602------- or please leave a note.

Thanks
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sometimes I'll leave one on the equipment too. I've got a few positive feedback comments from service techs that found one and knew to leave things alone. If I could just get the dogs to read it and stop drinking from my test bucket.;)
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 19-5-08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Business tip

Competition...

You all probably face competition in your markets which is good for everyone; consumers, your competitors, and you.
Costs to provide service are all rising fast! Use technology to your benefit by encouraging customers to email pictures of their pool so you don't have to make any more trips than necessary.
If pool is dirty have them clean it before you get there, etc.

Also, be the guy who does more than customers expect and ALWAYS do what you say you will do.;)
reedpool

[*] posted on 20-5-08 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote

Good advice. I find it pays to always have a digital camera on the job to take pictures of unusual situations, dumb installations and any equipment that you don't recognize. I use Olympus cameras rated for underwater use to 30 feet deep so that I can record unusual liner leaks etc. Sometimes it even comes in handy to show the customer the hole in the liner or the dye being sucked into a crack or main drain.
ALD

[*] posted on 23-5-08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote

We used to use epoxy to plug up a leaking light conduit, but recently started using the butyl tape. It has been a great change. You can reinsert the light on the same day.

Plus I wanted to see the Tips and Tricks post back at the top.

What other tips and tricks do you guys have?

Remember - your competition could be reading this also so don't give away the farm!!! By the way, if you are my competition and you're looking for some new ideas, we've also found it very helpful to cuss at customers and perform all work in a speedo. You can crank up the professionalism by getting your company logo right on the front of the uniform and pinning a name tag on your waist band. Again, only try these if you're my competition.

Thanks!
hap

[*] posted on 26-5-08 at 03:42 AM Reply With Quote

I'm not worried about giving the farm away in Maricopa County. Many times I have stood on a diving board, looked over the fences and could see 3 more pools in all the adjacent back yards. It's a swimming pool Mecca here. We had about 70 days of mandatory wet/drysuit water temps. I only had to put one on 2 times last winter.

Here's my tip for this post.....
Get a hydrophone if you don't have one and use it. You'll save a lot of time. I've had mine for about a month, it's indispensable now. This week I quickly found leaks on three pools. All structure leaks and fixable with 5 min epoxy.
hap
 Pages:  1  2
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top