Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Vinyl Liners
cgg90210

[*] posted on 13-4-13 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Vinyl Liners

I know a lot of you guys deal with vinyl pools a lot and this may sound lame, but here in Los Angles they are few and far between. I have a pool in Malibu on a severe hillside. The original constuction was/is gunite and plaster. There is a lot of earth movement that caused cracks in plaster over and over so the homeowner opted to lay a vinyl liner over plaster. In the last year I have had to return three times to dye test liner because it keeps tearing. The guys who installed the liner laid it directly over the plaster that has a lot of sharp edges as well as not making proper conteurs along the steps leaving a significant seperation or "hollow" spot btween materials. Isn't there normally a buffer between plaster and vinyl to prevent theese issues and how long untill someone with sharp toe nails steps through the liner? Needs to be re-done right? Lastly, are there any easier ways to locate tears/holes other than dye testing? Thanks Boys
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 14-4-13 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote

Chris

The other method to find leaks in a vinyl liner is to obtain a LEAK-TRAC 2200 from Anderson Mfg
It can locate even the smallest pinhole, It can also be used in fiberglass pools.
If you see this few liner or fiberglass pools it might not pay to get one.

I see a few old cracked pools that have had liners installed, they become regular customers! the same issues you are seeing (rough bottom, edges of broken areas, cracks, broken pieces that fall down the sides) cause wear and frequent holes. The other issue is liner fit, it appears yours was not a great fit.
Ultimately it will often need repair, must be cleaned VERY gently, and someday when the liner is next replaced they need to make certain the bottom is repaired and smooth and that the next liner is measured by an experienced liner pro.
At the time of the next liner change It is also possible to place padding on the walls and floor. Automatic cleaners are poorly suited for pools like the one you describe.
Be sure to educate the customer, the care the pool gets will determine how often it needs repair, it will be a regular leak customer.
Bruce
PoolRepairDiver.com:D
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cgg90210

[*] posted on 22-4-13 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote

Thanks Bruce, greatly appreciated!
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top