Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: no sound
hap

[*] posted on 4-3-07 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
no sound

Maybe you guys can help me find a better way to save time on this situation.....

I showed up to help a doctor find a leak in his pool after he did his own testing and determined that nothing is leaking. 1 inch of loss per day is occurring so he's wrong. That's not really a big deal other than this guy won't leave me to my task without lots of discussion about everything that is happening.

I bucket and, pressure test and find the next day the return line is leaking. So I start listening for some noise and can only hear gas in a 1 1/2" tee that is dug up and exposed. The returns disappear under the deck not far from the tee. The sound disappears when I try to hear it on the cool deck. I learn the the pool has been leaking for 6 months. The site is next to Camelback Mountain and the water is going straight down with out showing any moisture. I learn the reason he dug the tee up was because the ground was sinking there.

So I think, and correct me if I'm wrong please, that the reason I could not hear anything was because the earth had moved down from contact with the deck and the void created noise suppression. I could see the void when I looked in the hole he dug. One other problem I may have created myself was I did not put my long probe on the return fitting in the pool which I should have done early on.

I did manage to hear the water coming out after I stuck my 36" probe into the ground under the deck.

My question is how do you find leaks you can not hear due to voids? Some leaks will surely be surrounded by many yards of deck and no way to hear them.....suggestions?

hap
reedpool

[*] posted on 5-3-07 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote

In this circumstance I find the hydrophone attachment for the Fisher units work very well as the sound is transmitted through the pool wall into the pool.

Robin Reed
windsorleakdetection

[*] posted on 5-3-07 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote

I've a some luck by first putting water into the lines, than pressure testing with air. Often you can hear water gurgling out of the leak with your bare ears if there is a void underground.

Dave
4Leakman

[*] posted on 7-3-07 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I gotta agree

Pressure testing with air is the best way to go BUT if you are going to find a leak you must inject water with the air to be able to hear anything. Sometimes you get lucky and you may see water coming up through a crack in the pool deck near the leak. It is almost impossible to hear a leak on air pressure only!
hap

[*] posted on 8-3-07 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replies guys.

I talked to Lee at Anderson while I was ordering some supplies on Monday. He reminded me to induce water low and gas/air high. Looking back now I think Lee gave me great advice and I will remember this technique now. I got really puzzled when I heard lots of sound at the exposed and very dry tee. I was inducing water and gas up high and that made sound in the tee on it's way to the leak. The void under the deck prevented me from hearing the leak until I finally pushed a long probe on my mic under the deck.

If any Goldak 777 users are out there you might be interested to know I made my 36" probe. The 777 comes with a "break your back" 12 inch unit. Home Depot sells quarter inch rod that I threaded with a die. I threaded about 3/8" and sharpened the other end with a 4" grinder. Works great for me. If you do it don't get rough with the mic. Had one customer grab it and get a little nuts with my mic thinking he was doing me a favor.
hap
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top