Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: hearing leaks
timdoesleaks

[*] posted on 9-7-12 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
hearing leaks

I am going crazy trying to hear leaks with my "Leak Pro" listening tool. Since I have 30 years in working on pools, it seemed natural to expand in to leak detection (I have been doing old school leak location the whole time). I am now pretty well geared up but I am not consistently able to find under slab leaks with accuracy and confidence. What has everyone had success with to be able to hear the leak? I have tried air, water, and both. I hear many "leaks" so I am not confident enough to cut the concrete. I also have a "mini" gas detector but have been having false signal problems with it too.

What listening device is the best and can anyone report an "ah ha" moment as I search for mine?

Thanks
4Leakman

[*] posted on 10-7-12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Under Slab Leaks

Welcome to the group Tim....

I carry three devices in my truck for underground detection...

Fisher XLT 16

Fisher XLT 30

Metrotech 4000

They all work fine. I use the XLT 16 99% of the time and I have missed twice in 25 years. Been a bit off a few times, had to enlarge the opening 6 or 8 but nothing major.

Takes a lot of practice and time to get experienced. Try different ways of inputting air / water or both. Different scenarios require different schools of thought. It sometimes takes me a couple hours before I decide to cut. Soooo many variables that I can't get into here.

Just like Carnegie Hall... practice, practice, practice
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 11-7-12 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote

Every leak is different.
Every pool is different.
Drill small holes and use probe before you break deck. This helps with your helium too to localize leak.
We look for what others cannot find. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.
My Ah Ha moments come from getting paid
timdoesleaks

[*] posted on 12-7-12 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote

Leakman,
Thanks for the input! Curious why you use the XLT16 99% of the time when you have a XLT30 on the truck? Isn't the XLT30 the better tool. I am on the verge of getting either a 16 or 30, any advice?
trackerm

[*] posted on 26-7-12 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote

i always say. dont listen for the earth quake, listen for the after shock. When you first introduct air pressure into a pipe all that water is moving around until it equalizes. You will hear what sounds like a leak everywhere. if the pipe can hold pressure turn off your valve and wait five seconds then start to listen. best analogy, boil water and with the flame on it boils and makes noise. turn off the flame and if you still hear the pipe "boiling" thats your leak. wait for things to stabilize and when you hear noise its confident to say thats your leak. small leaks pound per minute loss are hard to locate. major leaks that dont hold pressure you can find that one usually, if you have smaller leaks more distant down that same line you wont hear them at all because the loss is greater in major breaks....
4Leakman

[*] posted on 12-8-12 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the delay

I thought that I replied some time ago...

I am just happy with the analog vs. digital meter and it is almost much easier to change the filtering frequency with one knob. Having to change to the hi or low or reject menu and then scroll up and down is a PITA to me. They both seem to hear about the same. I like to have equipment backups on the truck... except for the Bosch Brute... takes up a lot of space.
ald101

[*] posted on 13-8-12 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote

There is a certain "spit" or "hiss" I listen for. Use a peak and null method to pin-point. The peak on your meter is usually spot-on or at least close enough to put an x down.
pguthrie

[*] posted on 6-9-12 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote

When you all are pressure testing to sonar, do you have a second person running the rig on a residential? I tried yesterday but could not hear anything at all. There are a few large palms & bushes near the equipment so that would be my guess as to where it is.
Poolman

[*] posted on 18-9-12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote

:cool:Patience.... and being prepared to think outside the norm. Been to several pools and though pipes will be here and so listened to find nothing. Out with the divining rods and find the pipes in the opposite direction ! Pool builders of years gone by don’t appear to have had any logic.
cgg90210

[*] posted on 5-11-12 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote

If you have an issue using straight air, try an air and water mix. For instance if you are looking for a jet leak, start by inducing air from the air line, probe all of the jets. You can usually hear a louder point that will narrow your search. Then induce water from the furthest fitting from your loud spot from the fittings and induce air from the air line. You should get nice sound depending on the size of the leak. Good luck.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top