Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Plastic Dome
Detectives

[*] posted on 4-5-12 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Plastic Dome

I recieved a large, circular, clear plastic dome with my Leak Detection Package. Does anyone know what this is for and how do I use it? Your input would be appreciated.
brrscuba

Mood: Underwater!

[*] posted on 4-5-12 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Light Cover

The dome is a Light Cover. It allows you to cover the light when performing a Leak Trac electronic scan of a liner or fiberglass pool. Simple to use, just place over the light and blow into the tube to introduce air in the dome, water pressure will hold it in place. Your Leak Trac inspection will be easier and more accurate with the light covered (insulated)
Use of the Leak Trac takes practice and experience, it is an excellent tool, not a magic wand.
Hints for Leak Trac success;
1. Make sure you have a good ground, if using a metal rod in the earth for a ground, be sure to soak the area around the stake with water
2. Keep the electronics DRY, on any day that the unit is used, at the end of the day leave the storage case open overnight to fully dry
Thanks for your question, hope to see more posts.
Bruce
PoolRepairDiver.com
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Detectives

[*] posted on 6-5-12 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps another use for the dome

Thank you Bruce for that information.

I find small leaks in light niches very difficult to verify with dye, particularly if it is a windy day. For that reason I have found perhaps another use for the dome.

Could it also be use to visually see a small leak in a light niche? I placed the dome over the light with the intake and output ports at the top. When I draw out the water it begins to suck air after droping the water level in the dome only a couple of inches. With both poly tubes on the pool deck I note the level of the water inside the dome. The air pressure inside the dome will be the same as the the pressure above ground. If the water level in the dome drops at all then it would indicate a leak. Does this make sense? I haven't actually used it on a leaking niche but I am anxious to try the idea out.
Detectives

[*] posted on 8-5-12 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Surprise Surprise

I had an opportunity today to test my theory "Can you actually see the water leaking from the light niche?". The answer is yes you can. This pool was leaking 3/4 of an inch a day for over a year. Needless to say the owner was delighted it was fixed and I was delighted to see the water level drop within the dome. It took only minutes before it was very obvious. Dye testing earlier also indicated a leaking light niche.
pooldiverandrew

[*] posted on 8-5-12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote

a few questions for you. where in the niche was the leak, also what type of niche.
did you dive the pool to search the leak? did you make the repair from th e deck or were you in the water.
lite repairs are common, some niches get repaired more frequently than others, I would imagine it varies a little climate to climate. I am in new england, and sometimes can only make seasonal repairs (repair will last the swimming season) as the freezing ground can cause future problems.
what was the size of the pool as 3/4 " certainly means diferent volume in varying pools
thepoolsitter

[*] posted on 11-5-12 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote

That sure is a lot of questions.

I was asked to do the leak detection on this pool by the company that installed it. It is a 16 X 32 and it was a Hayward light. There is a grounding nut that attaches to a metal strip which runs to the front of the light. This nut has a rubber seal but it was never tightened. The installer said he just assumed it would have been tightened at the factory. It don't install pools so I can not comment on this.

The repairs were done from the deck and verified using my method described above.
brrscuba

[*] posted on 13-5-12 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
thepoolsitter/Detectives

Are you posting with two screen names?.?

Detective stated he had difficulty finding small light niche leaks, especially on windy days.
Thepoolsitter: stated he made the Light leak repair from the deck.

Inspecting light niches is fast, easy, and accurate if you do the inspection from underwater either on a pool diver air unit or scuba. Must be difficult, uncomfortable and awkward to do hanging over from the deck.
Bruce
PoolRepairDiver.com
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thepoolsitter

[*] posted on 14-5-12 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote

The Pool Sitter was my original business and had it for 10 years. I sold it to my son and now focus on leak detections.

Yes the repairs were made from the deck. Yes it was awkward. Yes it was uncomfortable but the alternative was to dive in 11C water.

The purpose of writing the article was to educate our members about another possible tool for assessing leaks in lights niches. If one member uses it successfully then it served the purpose.
Bill
leakdetectives.ca
Semi_Retired

[*] posted on 14-5-12 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote

Does that plastic dome thingie work on plastered pools too? Often the plaster is very uneven or curved.
thepoolsitter

[*] posted on 16-5-12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Does that plastic dome thingie work on plastered pools?

Yes
brrscuba

[*] posted on 24-5-12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote

I tried the light cover on 2 plaster pools this week, it would not seal to either one,
May work on new smooth plaster but not on my older test pools

Others have sometimes used the dome over a main drain to allow you to service a below grade valve, by plugging the dome inlets and placing it over the main it sealed and allowed the service to be done, and then a pressurization of the line pops the dome off without having to go to the bottom

Bruce
thepoolsitter

[*] posted on 30-5-12 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Using Plastic Dome In Plastered Pools

The plastered pool I used the plastic dome in was not as rough as some I have seen nor was it smooth. I had to hold the dome tightly as the water was extracted. It bonded quite nicely as I observed the water receed within. It was applied to a flat surface wall and not a curve. I have used this successfully now on vinyl pools as well.

If you are having difficulty fitting the dome it may be a result of the butyl tape seal that has come loose from the inner tube. Check that and try again. I had to re-apply it with a heat gun.

Good Luck
brrscuba

[*] posted on 30-5-12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote

I redid the butyl last fall, my dome sticks well when used on vinyl or f/g
Bruce
Semi_Retired

[*] posted on 3-6-12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote

Thanks for the above info. Since it's virtually 100% plaster pools here it looks like I won't be purchasing the dome. Happily, the pools are warm and I spent a lot of time underwater this week using just the PD-50 diving unit, a swimsuit and a weight belt.
Loving this job!

Mood: spring smellin''

[*] posted on 22-6-12 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
not exactly about the dome

but have had lite conduit leak so minutely that i did a whole bunch of other tests on pool and system to no avail. finally epoxzied conduit and problem was solved
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member 1215's Yahoo
Sdewolfe

[*] posted on 22-6-12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote

to: 1215,

Your above post seems to indicate that some tests you did were to "no avail". I'm sure many on this forum agree that every test done reveals information indicating a leak either is or is not present. Hence, everything you test is part of the information gathering process needed to eventually find the leak and get paid. In other words "it's all good";)
cgg90210

[*] posted on 27-8-12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote

I use a dome that suction cups to the light with a small hole at the top. I use dye at the hole to see if it takes. If yes, I dye test the conduit first, then around the niche etc.. works well
hinejs

[*] posted on 28-8-12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by cgg90210
I use a dome that suction cups to the light with a small hole at the top. I use dye at the hole to see if it takes. If yes, I dye test the conduit first, then around the niche etc.. works well

Are there variety of sizes for these domes? Anyone crafted something of their own or had to modify the dome to fit spa lites?

-Jeremy
Florida Leisure Pool & Spa
edenpools

[*] posted on 29-8-12 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote

what an excellent idea, we have right trouble with niches and conduits. something you could set up and get on with the rest of the testing then go back and check water level in the dome as they seem to always be small but constant leaks. cheers Barry EDEN POOLS Ltd UK
cgg90210

[*] posted on 11-9-12 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote

Jerwmy, I have two sizes.
one large for pool lights and a smaller one for the spa lights. Lucky for me American Leak Detection has it's own R&D Dept.

It's hard to describe the tool and I might get in trouble divolging(sp?) propriatory equipment, but if u use your imagination you could figure it out, happy humting.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top