Service Providers Forum Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Dye Testing for a successful outcome?
Poolman

[*] posted on 18-2-12 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Dye Testing for a successful outcome?

Working with another pool organisation the other day it was interesting to see there approach to dye testing. Seemed to be a lot of splashing around in the water, syringes full of dye being dumped all over the place.
When ever I dye test in water I want the pump to be off, slide into the pool as gently as possible and move as gently as possible so as not to create currents in the water. Seeing the leaping around in the pool I thought this was going to be a long day! A small amount of dye in the suspect area with no current in the water often shows what others have missed. The leak was found, 460 gallons a day wasn't going to stay hidden for ever !
I guess as I get older experience has taught me enough to put it into practice.;)
pooldiverandrew

[*] posted on 18-2-12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote

hey Poolman, how about more specifics on the pool?460 gals a day, assuming 24 hours is about an inch in a 20x40 rectangle, very hard to test skimmer mouths and basins, as well as return heads and main drains with the pump running.
was the pool gunite or vinyl, and where was your leak.
Poolman

[*] posted on 19-2-12 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote

Take a look at the picture 'Big Leak' This was in a gunite pool and under warranty so the installing company came to do the leak locate. We had to be there on behalf of the client to see what was done.
Leak was found in the cover cave, likely caused by the lack of attention when the rendering was done in the confined space.
Poolman

[*] posted on 23-2-12 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote

Patience is key in locating with dye, another customer, losing an inch over two weeks, hardly worth getting excited about. Its indoor and only used every fourth week at weekends. A methodical search in the suspect level, and a small gap in the grout was pulling water. Couldn't do that while splashing in the pool!
;)
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top