Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: New sonic EQ
hap

[*] posted on 31-1-07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
New sonic EQ

Hi Leak Finders,
My first post here. Thought I would introduce myself. My name is Hap, have been fixing pools for a long time after a two year training period to supervise concrete pool construction. All of this has happened in Phoenix AZ. I'm hoping to faze myself away from concrete cutting and jack hammers with a leak locating strategy. There are 10's of 1000's of swimming pools in this area so it's a do-able goal. Frankly I was tired of paying the locater dude the same amount of money for one hour work that it takes me most of a day to earn. After getting a new ultrasonic device on Ebay last week I called around and went to the local supply warehouse and found 3 jobs to use it on so far. It seems finding which pipe to pressure up on is the hardest part of finding leaks under decks. Pool spa combos with water features have a lot of plumbing to sort out for leaks. Had an easy one yesterday. The spa over flows over a dam wall into the pool. The builder built the spillway a little too high and water was leaking over the bond beam and under the cool deck. It was gong through a low spot in the waterline tile that was notched for a boulder sitting on the bond beam. Shooting boulders into the pool shell during construction looks very cool but needs some special attention so they do not need regular regrouting. At first it looked like a spa return leak because that is the only time water appeared from under the deck. So I switched the shared heater valving to heat the spa only and the leak stopped. My lessened learned was to dye test underwater rocks and boulders first before wasting time on plumbing.

Is anybody using a Goldak 777? I'd like feedback on this unit if someone has it. How deep will I hear leaks with it? Any comparisons to other units is helpful too. Thanks

--
Hap McDaniel
4Leakman

[*] posted on 5-2-07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Leak Equipment

I had a Goldak 777 many years ago. It worked OK but I moved to Fisher equipment with bigfoot microphones. Much better sound into the system while eliminating some of the unwanted proximal sounds. I also have a metrotech unit that works fine also. The Goldak is a good start but I think that you may upgrade after a while.
hap

[*] posted on 12-2-07 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote

Thank you so much for the reply. I'm really new at this and value any feedback.
hap
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top