Service Providers Forum

Light Leaking
AnyThingUnderwater - 18-11-09 at 12:41 PM

Got a pool light leaking in a gunite pool.
I have found the leak at the point where the light ring and the niche join together. (Pool is 16 years old).
The water temp is about 50 degrees F. I have tried to press the Anderson butyl tape into this leak and was unsuccessful. I would not adhere to the stainless steel niche nor the ring.
I then pressed a two part epoxy into the area and this seemed to stick though I am concerned about how long this will work.

Any suggestions.

Sdewolfe - 18-11-09 at 06:00 PM

It will work till it doesn't.
I had to get a snark in there...
I like the flexible sealer that is sold on this website for these repairs although we've done a ton of 'em with epoxy. Not usually stress on this repair so it should last. Did you warrantee it?

brrscuba - 19-11-09 at 08:04 AM

Yes it usually lasts a long time, When I find this type of leak I make sure to clean it well with scotchbrite and or a toothbrush so you can squeeze the epoxy thru the rotted areas of the ring and I seal over the entire ring to reduce future corrosion, tougher to do in cold water, I have one set of mitts with the fingertips cut off for jobs like this.
Bruce

cpr - 3-2-10 at 08:51 AM

I use quick drying cement if the gasp is large enough. Works well never had a go back, of course sometimes you have to use pool putty and it works to.

reedpool - 3-2-10 at 03:08 PM

@brrscuba nice avatar

1215 - 3-2-10 at 08:01 PM

i keep several brass automotive type cleaning brushes in my leak kit.i pick them up at a dollar store. and when i find a combo pak of the smallest kind grab a years supply.
the brass cleans lite conduit and cracks and stuff before i use butly putty or fast set putty.
brass is softer than steel and doesn't burn plaster. also softer metal conforms to lite conduit or whatever .less stress more clean.

trackerm - 4-2-10 at 08:09 AM

big avatar!!!